General Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
How about a final Phantomeers Beer Call - before we all 'peg it' ?

With the recent 'passing' of two good Friends and colleagues, Dave Manley and Grant Carrol, from my days on 43Sqn, it is a timely reminder none of us are getting any younger!

Would anyone be interested in a final reunion on the weekend of September 17th/18th 2022. Venue Skipton in North Yorkshire. Nothing formal to be arranged, sort your own hotel/B&B and meals. Turn up for one night or two (Fri/Sat). No Dress code, blah blah blah. Loads of pubs to choose from but nearer the time we could identify the best in which to meet up - and take it from there!

I know of a number of Colleagues who have expressed an interest in such a gathering. It doesn't matter how many folks turn up for the weekend but even if it was only a dozen of us, I'm sure it would be a great weekend sitting on the sandbags and swinging the old lamp!

I know of six of us who are definitely interested! I don't use social media platforms and never have done but if you read this message, please, please get the msg out there to your colleagues who do use Facebook, Twitter and any other platform you can think of.

I'm happy to coordinate numbers so that people can be updated on expected turnout!

I will supply a contact Number when I see what response we get from this Forum

Roger C

Re: How about a final Phantomeers Beer Call - before we all 'peg it' ?

I'm definitely interested if I last that long. I have been treated for Stage IV lung cancer for the past three years and the drugs will only work for so long (average 18 months with a 1% chance of 3 - 5 years)

Hi John, thanks for your speedy response. Ever the optimist, I have every confidence you I will see you in September! So now there are 7 of us who have expressed an interest. I know of one Phantomeer who also lives in Skipton. I will try to find his contact details but I’m sure he would turn up as well. Eight and counting?? Best wishes. Roger

Definitely interested in another doo Roger. I've also spoken to John & Kate Skillen and they are definitely interested.

Thank you Frank. The more the merrier! I will start collating a list once we reach a dozen or more who have expressed serious interest. But things look promising already!

As my daughter lives in Sutton in Craven, I might be able to swing a wee visit down to her. :-D Any excuse for a beer/catch up

And of course the 43 Sqn Association re-union is on at Leuchars the following weekend

Roger, I've posted it on The British Phantom Aviation Group (BPAG) Facebook Page, to widen the audience.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bf4pag/permalink/10166099259655263/

Hi Roger, it’s on my calendar, definitely be there 😃👍🏻🍺

Definitely interested. I'm in Silsden five miles away so it'll be a quick taxi ride. Venue?

Excellent Looking forward to it
Kipper

Defiantly intrested. Will pop it in diary.t

Always willing to suffer the trials of at least 3 days feeling like Sh*t after one of these get togethers.....!

Count me in!

Definitely interested, the Harrier Engineers recently had a open house, come and go as you please in Stamford at the Green Man. Could it be we could try something similar, maybe find a venue that allows caravans, campervans and motor homes to stay in the car park overnight. But definitely interested, in whatever format. Best wishes to all Phantomeers - Steve Hanson

Thanks for the text message Roger. I am only a short hop down the road in the shadow of LBA. I look forwards to the catch up. I wasn't aware of Grant's passing. Like Dave M, he was a fine man.

Latest update! I already have 12 names showing a definite interest in this event - with another two lads to come back to me confirming their attendance. So this is really looking promising (providing WW3 or Covid doesn't screw things up).

Remember to contact your fellow Phantomeers using all the social media platforms available. Next target is 20 names then I will provide contact details for those with any questions/suggestions. Steve H, I take note of your comments re Harrier boys, but it would take too much to organise at this late stage. And the Harrier Lads have been doing 'their' thing for some time now at the same venue each year I believe?

But thank you everyone so far for your support!

Roger

Hi Roger,

please put me down
regards Pete

Hello Roger,
good to hear from you. Two people messaged me about Skipton get together. I would love to come along. i live 6 miles away!
Cheers
Jeremy Billett

Roger
Me and t'other half would be interested ibn a couple of nights in Skipton to say our heloo's & goodbye's

Derek (Ted) Loveridge

Thank you Pete, Jeremy and Ted for your support.

Update: This event looks more probable, than likely, due to the numbers showing interest. So far we have 17 names of people wishing to attend and several more interested who are giving consideration. So we may well be looking at 20 people and more coming along.

I have done a bit of research re B&B/Hotel accommodation in and around the Skipton area. Because it is such a popular venue, accommodation really needs to be booked now (on a fully-Flexible Basis)........just in case! Or you will miss out on the chance of staying locally. I have booked my accommodation at the Rendezvous Hotel which is a mile outside Skipton. Unfortunately the PremierInn is five miles outside.

Its worth noting that trains run frequently between Skipton and Leeds. Last train out of Skipton leaving approx 22.45hrs and arriving in Leeds at 23.30hrs where there is a much wider choice of accommodation. And I may even choose this option if it suits me nearer the time. Fare is about £10 return pp.

Have spoken to Danny re venue for the meet on the Friday. He suggests we make a bee-line for 'The Devonshire' a Wetherspoons pub right in the heart of Skipton town centre and then we can take things from there. I'm hoping to get up to Skipton for an evening very soon to look at capacity of other pubs - and sample the beer of course!

For myself, I expect to be propping up the bar in Wetherspoons from about 6pm onwards!

That's all for now folks.

Roger

Certainly interested Roger, please keep me updated.
Thanks

Ian and I are very interested and looking forward to seeing everyone

I am interested I have had almost no contact with other phantomeers and my generation is getting rapidly smaller.

There is a big hotel on the way into Skipton that can manage large groups but their beer was lousy the last time I was there'

Hi Roger. Have booked AB& B in Skipton so if you change venues let us know soonest. Looking fwd to meet up.

Hi Roger, I've booked an Airbnb in Skipton, for myself, Chris and John & Kate Skillen. We are all looking forward to meeting up with our friends again. Thanks again.

Simmo and I have booked hotel in Skipton looking forward to seeing everyone

Hi Colin, venue will not change now - too many of us have already booked accommodation in Skipton!

Great to see all this support and looking forward to seeing everyone again.

I do know of several more lads who are coming but they just have not got round to putting anything on the Forum yet!

Best wishes - Roger

Hi Roger, I am definitely up for a beer call reunion, so I will keep an eye on this forum and face book. in the meantime I will let others know. Fingers crossed there will be lots of old faces.

I’m up for any reunion. Just keep in touch with any details.

Hi Roger et al, good news that so many have responded positively. I will be there.

Count me in

I answered automatically before registering the dates! It's the girlfriend's birthday, have one for me😏

Hi, I am definately interested in the reunion
regards
Jim

Bring the Girlfriend John! Or has she got a birthday on the Friday and Saturday ? 🤣. For those that can, we are meeting on both nights!

Update to come straight after the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee. But so far we are looking at 25 people attending and am awaiting confirmation of three more lads who have expressed an interest. Quick reminder to book your accommodation soonest on a fully flexible basis in case you have to cancel.

In the meantime, have a great Jubilee Bank Holiday. R

Roger Canfield
Bring the Girlfriend John! Or has she got a birthday on the Friday and Saturday ? 🤣. For those that can, we are meeting on both nights!

Update to come straight after the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee. But so far we are looking at 25 people attending and am awaiting confirmation of three more lads who have expressed an interest. Quick reminder to book your accommodation soonest on a fully flexible basis in case you have to cancel.

In the meantime, have a great Jubilee Bank Holiday. R
Is this open to naval phantomeers?

Its on the Saturday. Anybody going on Friday?

I've booked B&B for the Friday, can't do Saturday 😒. Keep me posted🍻😏

I will certainly be there Friday night John. I will try to coordinate numbers after the Jubilee weekend to give a better idea of numbers for Friday and Saturday! R

I'm up for it-be nice to catch up with some old faces after all this time

Hi John.
Liz booked our hotel in Skipton a couple of weeks ago so looking forward to seeing you and, hopefully many other old mates again.
See you then. Take care mate.

Hi Milton Hey

If you were a F4K engineer, you're more than welcome, in my humble opinion.

Best wishes

Steve Hnason

Hi Roger

We have booked into the Cavendish at Embsay for Friday 16 and Saturday 17 September and will get a taxi into Skipton for either or both evenings, I take it that the Wetherspoons in Skipton is where the action is. Best wishes sent from Geoff Culpitt, Nav Leader on 17(F) 73 - 76. See you in September. Is there anything you want us to do to help, let us know and if we can oblige, we will.

Best wishes

Steve & Diana

I’m up for that. Count me in

Having just moved to Skipton - can't think of a better place to hold it - I'm in

Hi Roger

Great, have been talking with Al Tenant and we will be attending the final beer call and I hope Al and I will not peg before then.

Regard
Brian

Just to confirm will be there on Saturday and have booked. Accom.

Thanks Brian and Al for your support. It will be great to see you again after a number of years! But a big thank you to all those who have expressed an interest in coming along on the weekend of 16th and 17th Sep. So far a total of 31 Phantomeers have indicated their attendance - with no cancellations that I'm aware of.

Am still waiting for Danny (local Resident) to report back on the availability and suitability of a second venue which may have a room available for hire on the Saturday night - just to kick things off! But I envisage we will eventually split into groups and see who can get round most of the pubs Skipton has to offer ha! ha! (hic!)

If anyone is struggling to find accomodation in Skipton, I may have a booking which is going 'begging'. I've double-booked hotel in Leeds and Skipton! An early-morning train leaving Leeds on Sunday for down South (which I need to be on) leaves Leeds before the 1st train out of Skipton gets to Leeds. So I would probably need to stay in Leeds Sat night?

Anyway, that's all there is for now. I'm on WhatsApp if any of you need to msg me or drop me an email.

Looking forward to seeing you all in about 10 weeks time.

Best wishes.

Roger

Hi Roger, can you add me to your list for the Saturday night as well please. Unfortunately can’t make the Friday due to the distance and grand parent duties (wouldn’t get there until about 1am and turning up sober when everyone else is trolleyed is no fun). Thanks.

Name added Buck! Looking forward to seeing you there. R

Hey Roger
I've checked with my agent and my filming schedule is clear that weekend. Put me and Mrs Tin Man down for Friday night, if my kidneys can hold out I'll try for Saturday as well.

Thanks
Chris

Hi Roger
Just to confirm I will be attending on Friday and Saturday night along with George Learmonth
regards
Jim

1 2