This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Creating website?

Hi folks out there,

Has any body got a few minutes to spare to please teach me how to create and edit a site, All the site info is on CD, what do I do?

Yours,A complete Computer IDIOT!!!

Carl.

Browser: Google

Re: Creating website?

Sure, I've got a few spare minutes. We will learn how to create and edit websites, and in the time we have left over, I'll teach you how to conjugate Sanskrit verb-forms and how to play Ravel's "Bolero" on the bagpipes...

Yo Mac,

Did you ever hear this one??

A man is cupping his hand to scoop water from a Highland Burn;

The gamekeeper shots,
´Dinnae Drink Thon Water! It´s full foo ae Coo´s Keech an´Pish.

The Man Replies,
My Good Fello, I´m English, Could you repeat that in English for me?

The Game Keeper replices,
´I said, use two hands you get more that WAY!!!!!

So thank you very much, perhaps someone else maybe a bit more understanding eh?

Regards,

Carl.

Good tutorial here

Carl, sorry but you opened yourself for a sarcastic response as what you ask for will take a lot longer than a few minutes.

It isn't clear from you post how far you have got and if you really are asking for us to explain "Life the Universe and Everything" or if you are three quarters of the way there and are just muddling the terminology a bit.

Step by step:
1. Learn some basic html - you will need this as there will always be something that will need you to go "under the hood". There are lots of tutorials on the web and it should take less than a day.
2. Download an editor and possibly some photo handling software (I use NVU and Irfanview)
3. Create and save your web pages on your PC. (HINT create a dedicated folder and put all your web files there)
4. Make sure that you have Internet Explorer and at least one other web browser on your PC. (The main alternatives are Firefox and Opera)
5. Test the saved pages in both browsers.
6. Fix any errors
7. Find a hosting service
8. Buy a domain name and follow the instructions provided to link it to the web hosting that you have just bought
9. Download some FTP software (I use Filezilla)
10. Configure your FTP software using the parameters given by your hosting service
11. Use the FTP software to upload your site
12. Check the site again in both browsers. There are some features that will perform differently across the web.
13. Correct errors on your PC and upload the corrected files.
14. Register your site with Google
15. Tell people about your site.

Sorry Carl, I couldnt resist a little jest, and Im glad you accepted it in the spirit with which it was given.

I would highly recommend the link referenced by Corwings. Im basically self taught, and thats where I got my start. Lessons are presented in "bite-sized" portions, easy to digest. It may take longer than a few minutes, but early in the lessons you will be designing your first website. Good luck!

I will be glad to help you but it will take longer than a few minutes.

Do you have an instant messenger that you can use?

Hi Ezine,

How are you? Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, anyway, yes I have Yahoo Instant Messenger and Windows Live Messenger, is that any good for you?

Regards,

Carl

Do you have web hosting? My name is Landon.

Browser: Internet Explorer

Hi Landon,

How are you doing? Many thanks for responding to my call for H-E-L-P!!!

Yes I have Hosting with Bravenet,just do not have any idea of how to Copy info from a CD and then Paste onto Bravenet.

Hear from you very soon.

Sincerely,

Carl Lewis.

Carl,

I guess I'm a little confused on your question. You mention that everything you have is on CD but your not providing any details.

Exactly what is on the CD? Is this a site that someone created for you and copied to CD? Or is this some kind of web builder application? And, why are you linking to "www.mosamusic.com"?

You link to the URL "www.mosamusic.com", but that isn't your domain name. A WhoIS search says that that domain name is still available. So, if you intend to use that domain name, you need to purchase it. You can do that through Bravenet or any other URL registrar. For my domains I use Goddaddy.com. Once purchased, the domain name can be applied to a free or paid Bravenet hosting account.

Once you own a domain name, you will need to obtain the Primary and Secondary Name Servers from Bravenet and apply them to your domain name. It is not necessary to by a domain name to use Bravenet's free or paid hosting. If you don't own one, you can choose a Bravenet sub-domain name.

If the CD contents are just web site files (html, css, php, javascript, etc..), there isn't much to know. The files on the CD should have a directory structure that needs to be replicated on your web site. The home page is usually named "index.html", "index.htm" or even "home.html".

The easiest way to upload is to use FTP. To do that, you first need to set up a FTP account in your Bravenet Account. Just follow the FTP tab and enter the necessary information. You will be provided with login name and a FTP server to connect to. The login name may be different than your Bravenet login name, but the password should be the same.

Then, on your end, you need a FTP tool. Good FTP tool named FileZilla can be obtained from "sourceforge.net". It's free, easy to use, and works well.

Then all you need to do is move your files from the CD to your web site. With something like FileZilla, the move is as simple as a "click-and-drag", once you are connected to your site. You just select all the files and folders you want to transfer to your web site on the CD, and drag them to your web site. Filezilla will take care of the details and move the files. This is effectively what man user refer to as "publishing".

At that point your done. If you receive any updated, just FTP them to your web site. They should overwrite the web site files and your site visitors will see the update(s).

It only sounds complicated. Once you get use to the processes, you can do them in your sleep.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....

thanks for sharing...

Web Design

Its all very awesome discussing, Thanks

Web Design Chennai | Web Design Company India

Browser: SEO, SEO Tips, SEO FAQ

good website to come across
Many Thanks
http://www.cincobros.net

Browser: web design chennai, seo chennai india

I thought I would never come up with a website!

Hence, I built my first website using this tutorial. Many tutorials, but this tutorial was right for me.

I am still inside a classroom .... it's fun, enjoyable, challenging ...

try build yours and you will make it!

Browser: chrome

Excellent discussion to discover how to store a complete Website Design over a compact disc. Nice sharing, thanks.

That's what spammers are for John like YOU of course.

If you have an issue then ask in your own thread if not please DO NOT reply to SPAMMERS.

They are not worth the time or effort of a response.

Peter
Carl, sorry but you opened yourself for a sarcastic response as what you ask for will take a lot longer than a few minutes.

It isn't clear from you post how far you have got and if you really are asking for us to explain "Life the Universe and Everything" or if you are three quarters of the way there and are just muddling the terminology a bit.

Step by step:
1. Learn some basic html - you will need this as there will always be something that will need you to go "under the hood". There are lots of tutorials on the web and it should take less than a day.
2. Download an editor and possibly some photo handling software (I use NVU and Irfanview)
3. Create and save your web pages on your PC. (HINT create a dedicated folder and put all your web files there)
4. Make sure that you have Internet Explorer and at least one other web browser on your PC. (The main alternatives are Firefox and Opera)
5. Test the saved pages in both browsers.
6. Fix any errors
7. Find a hosting service
8. Buy a domain name and follow the instructions provided to link it to the web hosting that you have just bought
9. Download some FTP software (I use Filezilla)
10. Configure your FTP software using the parameters given by your hosting service
11. Use the FTP software to upload your site
12. Check the site again in both browsers. There are some features that will perform differently across the web.
13. Correct errors on your PC and upload the corrected files.
14. Register your site with Google
15. Tell people about your site.

I have a #16.
If you're impatient, download or use dreamweaver instead do you website there.

Website Designer West Palm Beach

Browser: mozilla

I have a #16.
If you're impatient, download or use dreamweaver instead do you website there.

Perhap you should learn what an editor is before offering advice. That was step 2

Carl Lewis
Hi folks out there,

Has any body got a few minutes to spare to please teach me how to create and edit a site, All the site info is on CD, what do I do?

Yours,A complete Computer IDIOT!!!

Carl.

Simply you can use this website http://www.thewebpole.com/twp/dream-website/ and create a new site at reasonable cost... By using this website they provide step by step process for creating and editing a website.... Domain transfer, SSL certificate, Logo design and many more services are take good effort in this website.... So that i suggest this website to you....

Browser: mozile firefox

Get ready to become really frustrated..Good luck, i wish i sold patience..

Browser: ie9