This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Uploaded a Template but cannot find it or open any pages to edit

When I right-click on my index page, it opens to an uneditable blank page. I cannot find the template I uploaded, regardless of which editor I try to use. No matter what I do, nothing happens but the uneditable blank page. I have no idea how to even start, with or without a template, now.

Browser: firefox

Re: Uploaded a Template but cannot find it or open any pages to edit

Well, perhaps not a blank page, but an unedited template. The idea is to edit the template first, then upload it. While it is actually possible to upload it and use online editors, this is only a good idea if you do not own a computer or have regular access to one.

When you upload your index.html again, it will replace what you see now.

According to the tutorial, it has to be uploaded and then edited. When I open the template to edit before uploading, I do not see any way to edit it.

Where is this tutorial? I didn't spend all that much time looking for it, but I suspect it is a tutorial using an online editor, not a tutorial for working with templates. Am I right? Templates definitely do not have to be uploaded before editing. The only time it makes sense to do it that way, is if you are using a computer which is not yours, and where you are refused such privileges as saving files. (School library? Prison?)

It is in the template FAQs on this site: http://wiki.bravenet.com/How_do_I_use_a_template_from_my_Templates_service_with_my_hosting_service%3F

I see. It does say that. But i suspect by "using it with your hosting servide", they simply mean "editing it with the online editors provided by your hosting service". You will notice that this is the last question answered in the Web Templates section. If you instead go to this page you will find more useful information.

Do you know how to edit the template before downloading?

Wrong question. First you download. Then you edit.

But remember: Your template will probably contain a html file (the webpage), a css file and some extra files (background images, etc.) When you have saved these to your computer, make a copy of everything before you start editing. Otherwise you may have to start downloading again when you want to create page 2. (Or you can do the copying when you have made the changes you intend to apply to all your pages.

If this is a Bravehost template, the html file may be named something like index999.html (if this is template no 999). Rename it to index.html.

Ah......I meant how do you edit before uploading. But if I have to download to my computer to edit, I guess I have to. If I can figure out how. I've been doing my own website for 7 years and suddenly *now* it got complicated.

You have to DOWNLOAD the template if you want it for your website and things then edit it in an editor.

You can't just edit it on their site

Nothing complicated except you making it complicated.

Probably thought things were still the same from 7 years ago when you started well they are not.

There is an excellent tutorial here, which tells you the basics. The actual editing can be done in Notepad if you like, though there are better programs around. Personally I prefer EditPad, but you'll find one you like.

There are also WYSIWYG editors, but in my opinion, you shouldn't use those until you understand the basics. Using tools you don't understand can backfire if you press the wrong button. Of course, when you understand the basics, you will probably decide you don't need them.

Thanks, I will try that tonight. Even a year ago I used a WYSIWYG editor within the wizard that was very simple to edit as I built the site. I guess upgrades will be with us forever, and I'm not getting any younger! Maybe I should have my 6 year old do this for me? If only she could spell.........