QUESTIONS - COMMENTS - SUGGESTIONS

Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple

welcome aboard  feel free to post and answer questions

Car Buying Q & A
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1999 Volvo XC Wagon

Hi, I love this site. It helped me bring down a volvo wagon with 100K miles, one owner and a clean carfax report marked $7995 to $5000. The sales manager just called and wanted me to come back and sign today. Seemed like a great car, but it made a "whirring" noise. Of course they said that they would fix it before drove it off the lot. Now I got cold feet. We just moved here from Sweden and I don't know any mechanics or how things over here work. Should I just walk in to any shop and ask a random guy to help me with a check up for 50 bucks? The price on the car is quite a bit lower than Edmunds Estimated market value. Is it a lemon? Any suggestions anyone? Sorry, alot of words, but I really don't know how things work over here.

Re: 1999 Volvo XC Wagon

Go through the phone book or find a local shop it's a must to get an independent mechanical checkout, you make deal subject to inspection or you must walk away from the deal if not allowed ... Even better if there ia a Volvo dealer in area.

Thanks. I will take it to someone on monday. Did you mean to buy from a volvo dealer or to take it to their shop? I found out that the trade in value was a little more than $5K, and they are selling it for that to me? Fishy.....

If there happen to be a Volvo dealer in your area so much more the perfect inspeciation.

Your from Sweden and just arrived North America, I find that hard to belive, your english is to perfect.

I was born in Copenhagen.

Ray, I must say that I am really impressed with your dedication and will to help people. We watch a lot of crappy american tv in sweden and I studied in Chicago for three years, that might be why my english is decent. You don't get my nasal spoken midwest thing though.... Copenhagen is a great town, you should visit if you get a chance. Don't buy a car, tax is somewhere around 50 %!!!!! Volvo is out. Today I avoided a certified scam from toyota thanks to your site. Man, why did americans stop making wagons..... The only thing you can find is 98-02 Tauruses. What do you know about them?

Please dont be impressed with my dedication, if i enjoyed playing golf I would most likely not be doing this to pass time, I think the Ford Taurus is a great vehicle not anywhere in the class of a Volvo but good value for bucks, again it comes down to condition and value for your bucks, I would buy a Taurus if it passed my type inspection.

Now I know names like Bjorn Borg - Salming and Mads Sundin being from Sweden,,, but the name Jimmy ???,,, lol

I guess this is not really about the volvo anymore but anyway. Found a 98 Taurus, one owner, clean carfax, ford dealership, maintainence in shop, 137K miles, the dealer was the most likable of the ten or so I've met in searches. Listed at $3450. Edmunds listed it in excellent condition @ $2827, consumerguide $2900-$3500. My thought is to take it to a mechanic and if he says its ok, I will offer $2500 and we will probably agree on $2800-$3000. Sounds like a plan right? I am named after a song by Kathy Linden, Goodbye Jimmy Goodbye, and my last name is olsson. How about that.... Never ever heard about supermans photographer in my life

Yes sounds like a plan, and am happy to note your playing the game a perfect 10, as for your name feel good only old timers like me remember Jimmy Olsen , he was a real drip.