Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple

welcome aboard  feel free to post and answer questions

Car Buying Q & A
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How much should I rely on Edmunds TMV?

Thanks for the informative website.

I have been doing used car research for the last few weeks and happened across your site.

In your opinion, how much should I stay firm on the price quoted by Edmund's TMV service?

It appears that a lot of the franchise dealerships in my area (lower Michigan) are way over this price - on average $2K to $3K more on every car.

Also, if I am armed with the various 'values' for a car, how should I use this to successfully negotiate with a franchise dealership?
. Should I just come in with a mental number and then walk if I don't get it.
. Should I show the actual TMV/Kbb/etc webpage to the salesman and be ready for why that number is way too low?
. Or would some other form of neotiation be more advisable?

I do not have a pressing need to purchase right away and I have the luxury of waiting.

As a side question, how can I determine how long a dealer has had a vehicle in stock?

Thanks again for your time,
James

Re: How much should I rely on Edmunds TMV?

Sites like KBB and Edmonds is a guideline, personally I would go auto trader.com for my area and compare prices, from there you can come in with a mental #

Franchise dealers on average get top bucks for their own product " becauce " on average their quality of cars are superior

A dealer can be vague or supply full history including in service date along with how many owners, and can also show how long present dealership has had ownership, if there is something to hide they will not be very cooperative