Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple

welcome aboard  feel free to post and answer questions

Car Buying Q & A
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Getting a used car

Hello there,

I hope this message finds you well. I have a question regarding a used car that i am going to buy.

the car is land rover sport HSE..I did my homework by running auto check on it and found out that there is a loan/lien records on it.

when I asked the owner of the car he said I have the title and there is no loan nor there is lean on the car.

he even told me that you can check on the car at the dealership ...I got the number and called the dealership and found out that the car is being serviced and under warranty, then the owner told me that he is going to buy a car from a different dealership (Toyota) and he said that I need to pay the dealer the amount that we agree on, by doing that he (the owner of the land rover) doesn't have to pay for TAX for his new car, because that will be consider as trade in and out ..something like that

please help me if you can cause i don't know something doesn't seem right here....

Thank You

Re: Getting a used car

There is nothing wrong with this deal, but it is important that you understand how it works, anything that you don't understand post it.

When you trade in a vehicle at a dealership you only pay tax on the difference " example " you buy a car for $30,000 and dealer allowed you $20,000 for your trade now you pay tax on only the diff which is $10,000, with no trade you pay tax on the full amount.

You will be buying the Land Rover from the dealership, the seller whom traded the vehicle to the dealership is out of the picture,if your happy with whatever amount the dealer is selling you the vehicle for, it's a done deal.

As for the lien you found, should there be any issues it's the dealer's problem , if you buy private with a lien it's a whole diff matter.