QUESTIONS - COMMENTS - SUGGESTIONS

Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple

welcome aboard  feel free to post and answer questions

Car Buying Q & A
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
is there anything saying a dealer should hold a car for someone

question - is there any rule - written or unwritten - saying that a dealer should hold a car for a customer if they have done quite a bit of negotiation and due diligence on the car - if another buyer comes along?

We're in a situation right now where we drove 50 miles to test drive the car. The car had bad brakes so they put on new rotors. The next day they drove the car 50 miles to my work to test drive again. This time it drove great, and we had it checked out by our mechanic. Came back good. We said we would talk about it and call the dealer that night. I get back to my desk after a meeting and there's a message that another couple was now test driving the car and may buy it.

Wouldn't a dealer normally hold the car for a couple of hours while we discussed it - or will they just give the car to whoever gives them the most money? We think the car will probably sell to this other couple now because we didn't agree to buy on the spot, but said we would decide and call them that night.

Re: is there anything saying a dealer should hold a car for someone

There is no rule written " you snozze you loose " hundred of times I have seen it happen, I fully understand it's a big step buying a car and things need to be thought out, but the dealer goes 50 miles to your work place, it passes your test drive and your mechanic's inspection, and you still got to think ???

When I was selling and there was an issue I would recommend to consumer to submit a deposit and make deal subject to test drive or a mechanical inspection all to take place within 48 hours.

Guess it's back to the drawing board, send me a link as to what your looking at next, and I will be happy to provide some input.

PS " red flag " Knowing how dealers work, THINK, don't you find it strange that dealer calls to say someone else is test driving and may buy, why bother calling you prior to the fact ???

We didn't have much to think about as far as buying the car - except - we weren't sure we wanted to pay that much.

It was a bit of a red flag when he called to tell me about the other test driver, but apparently it was true. when i called back the car had sold. Go figure.

What do you think of Chevy Impalas (not the new body) 2004-2006

I worked with GM for quite a few years and the Impala in it's class was always my choice, the 3.8L engine I considered one of the best engine's ever made, they were also made in a 3.4L
it all comes down to price VS condition, and fair market value for your area.

thank you for your responses. now i just have to find another well priced impala with low miles, and persuade my wife to go for it a little faster.. :)