Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple

welcome aboard  feel free to post and answer questions

Car Buying Q & A
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Used 08 Acura TL

My wife and I went to deal on the used 08 TL yesterday and the dealership had posted the car for $28,990. When we said we wanted to discuss that price (as opposed to monthly payments or down payments) he said there wasn't really any room in the price to come down. I mentioned Edmunds "true market value" for a new 08 (with incentive of $3500 cash back), it was close to his used price. He commented that Edmunds can't sell me a car so he shrugged off their prices. As a side note, I have never seen an actual new 08 TL going for the pricing they suggest either, however I didn't state that in negotiation. I just said I felt their pricing on a used car should be able to come down and asked for his best price. He make a call to the general manager and said he really couldn't go below $28,500 on the car. So, my wife and I thanked him for his time and said we would have to do additional research and get back to him. He said he understood, gave us a business card (wrote his cell phone # on it and asked us to call him on Sunday if we had any questions) -- and he let us walk out of the dealership. So, does this mean that $28,500 was actually his best price? I was surprised that he didn't ask us to sit back down when he realized we were not going to buy the car.

After doing additional research, it does seem like his pricing is slightly lower than the same cars at other dealerships (by about $1-2k). So, I'm leaning towards going back to him in a week or so. Maybe he will call me back saying he can do better in the meantime.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Yes $28,500 at this time seems to be his best price, as for calling you back , yes he may just do that to see if your still interested, as for doing better dealership may stay firm or offer a small token like a few oil changes or some other incentive.

What you have accomplished by walking away from the deal is knowing the best price, if you really want the car your taking a big chance to see if vehicle is still available in a week or so.

This was interesting to read. I'll be going in tomorrow on an '05 Acura TL and the asking price is considerably below KBB and Edmunds for Retail Value. On Ebay, they're going for perhaps a little less, but since I've test driven it and plan to get it mechanically inspected, I honestly don't have much to argue the price down with other than the market is experiencing downward pressure and if I wait I can get a better deal.

This was a very informative site in general, will refer others.

Closed the deal on a '05 TL w/ 44K well below KBB/NADA and other online guides. Had it inspected and found the clutch needed to be replaced which knocked 700 off the price. I know I got my pocket picked a little on the fees and only managed another 100 off from the doc fees. I know that in different circumstances I would have happily walked out, but knowing I haven't had a car in a long time, it was cold as *#!), and the *considerably* lower price I was getting, I was willing to pay.

This site has proved to be excellent to me. I don't know if I would have gone through independent inspection nor would I have left ambiguous the method of payment until *after* we agree on a price. Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing your in depth knowledge. My only suggestion is to use a spell checker and do a little more proof-reading. You clearly were good at your job because you were too busy laughing at amateurs like me to worry about your spelling!

I really appreciate your comments, and yes your 100% right about my grammer and spelling, you see I came to North America as a teen when my parents immigrated from Denmark with all my education being Danish and only knew how to say yes and no,,,lol,,, never went to school here, and with no english education the choice of work led me to the Auto industry, to this day when I work on my website I find myself constantly going through the dictionary or looking for the right words to text. If my site was intended for personal gain I would have it professionally done.

Long story short,,, Again I appreciate you calling a spade a spade telling the truth, if you or someome else once in a while with a little spare time would consider copy/paste some of my material into word pad and make correction to grammar and spelling and email it back to me,,, that would be great. paulsenray@yahoo.com

Thanks Ray, and I may take you up on the proof-reading if I get a chance. Of course, like many other readers, I primarily fall in the ungrateful category in that we use the site for our purchase and then never think about it again until the next time we're in the market for a car. In that sense, I can offer another suggestion. Perhaps you can discuss some post purchase advice regarding working with the dealer in the future, both with respect to servicing and any future purchases. For the former, I would personally use a non-dealership mechanic, but if I knew there were ways to pull the strings at the dealership, I may use a combination of approaches.

As for the English, don't sweat it. My wife is also Scandinavian and makes similar mistakes. I've become fairly adept at understanding what she means to write versus what she actually writes!