Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple

welcome aboard  feel free to post and answer questions

Car Buying Q & A
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What to offer for a 2005 Focus?

They both look good. As for warranty, there will only be a few months P/T left if any, ask for in service date for both. It's 5 years or 100,000 km from that date.

As for history report, I am sure the dealer most likely use " Car Proof " as it's more reliable than Carfax for Canadian cars, ask to view report,. Dealer may also be using a history report from UCDA, also very reliable for Ontario.

$9500 to $10,000 max will be a fair price, try sticking with $9500... Whatever price you end up with " refuse to pay for Adminstration fees " also called Handling fees by some dealers.

Test drive both on the highway, you will end up to favor one over the other.

As for side impact, it would not become an issue with me " but to each his own " The ford dealer I am associated with in the GTA had about fifteen 2005 - ZX5 that sold for between $9300 - $9995 with 42K to 55K.

Thanks a lot Ray, unfortunately i was squeezed a bit for time to get a car so i couldn't wait for your answer so i made a deal anyways yesterday afternoon.

Turns out i made a good deal. Test drove both, both felt about equally nice so i got the one with extra sunroof/tinted windows/stereo-upgrade. Offered $9700 and stood firm as salesman pecked away at the price, was about to walk out but salesman went to get the manager & he accepted my offer. My dad said he wouldn't have offered more than 10,000 so your site advice saved me $300!, not to mention some cracks and scrapes i got them to fix on the contract. They showed me some Ford internal history check, but it looked legit since the finance guy used it himself when he wrote up the contract.

Unfortunately i did pay $330 for "admin fees", but ill know next time, but another ford dealer wanted $500. You should add that tip to your website.

Thank you so much, your website & advice helped me incredibly! I will recommend your site to everyone i know.

You are very welcome, the satisfaction I got, was getting you to switch to the vehicle I liked in your price range. as for spreding the word about the website " thanks" there is a link at top of every web page called " tell a friend to visit "

Re.. Adm Fees, Dealers vary from $99 to $600. - it's a cash cow - most buyers will ask what it covers and be satisfied with a lame answer, while the real truth is, it covers the dealer principal's extended holiday golf trips.

Yes, even though i spent a little more than i wanted i definitely got much better value with the Focus.

I picked up my car at the dealer today. I was angered to find out they forgot to rub out any of the scratches on the car, plus they didn't even bother shampooing/cleaning the interior. Just a quick vacuum. I was PO'd & have to bring it back this week for them to do that (but i get a loaner).

My keys don't even come with a keyless entry remote, which is B.S. because none of the doors besides the driver even has a keyhole. So the salesman said he'd install a remote keyless entry for my trouble, but i'm going to bring up my anger to the owner/head manager & possibly get more bonuses.

To top it off, they only gave me a free half-tank of gas, but maybe thats standard for used purchases.