Car Buying Q & A

QUESTIONS - COMMENTS - SUGGESTIONS

Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple

welcome aboard  feel free to post and answer questions

Car Buying Q & A
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Left a deposit on M/C - what are my chances of getting it back?

Today is Tuesday...put downpayment on vehicle on Saturday. After the fact, I found and read your website and tips....I think I made 7 out of 10 mistakes in purchasing a car. To try and and shorten this story, here's the facts. Saw vehicle we liked, took it for a test drive, it stunk of wet dog. They said they had shampooed it, but would do it again. Taking their word for this, I put a deposit on my mastercard ($2,500 - yeah, this is one of the big mistakes). We're due to pick the car up tonight. If the smell is still there, it will probably always be there. I talked to the salesman yesterday to reiterate that the sale was conditional on getting rid of the smell. Do I have a case to cancel this sale and get all my deposit back? I really wish I had researched more and found your website earlier. I feel so stupid now, but have learned from what you're written.

If they refuse to return my deposit, do I have the right to call M/C and have them cancel it or will OMVIC do anything about this?

I appreciate your help and feedback and hopefully you can reply before I finalize this sale.

Re: Left a deposit on M/C - what are my chances of getting it back?

OMVIC don't come into play in this case, as for cancel of M/C you will have to phone customer sevice for advice, if your able to cancel the deposit the dealer will in some cases play hardball, in your case scheduled to pick up vehicle tonight tells me it's been registered in your name.

As for the dog smell, it's my guess this condition is not written on the bill of sale ???... If you're not satisfied tonight don't take delivery and demand another complete detail interior cleanup incl headliner... Cigarette smoke can now be eliminated 99.9% with a machine that cleans the vents, I really don't see why dog odor can't be eliminated, it comes down to how experienced the detail shop is at the dealership. Let me know what happens

Hi Ray,
I picked up the car Tuesday night, it smelled like it went through a Glade factory, lol, but dog smell was gone and so far so good. Now for the bad news. As soon as I started driving it on Wednesday, brakes starting squeaking. Took it to another licensed mechanic who showed me in detail, that all four calipers were dry and needed servicing. Rear rotors were fine but front were badly grooved and could not be machined or turned. Of course, everything was still certifiable, but probably barely. Went to dealer and told manager about my findings and he said to bring it in and they'll "do whatever it takes to make me happy". Already had an appointment Saturday morning to get front driver side speaker fixed that should have been fixed before we picked it up. Took it in Saturday morning, and after waiting an hour to get anyone to tell us anything, the manager said that his "technician" claims that the calipers and rotors were fine, but admitted that they did need some "brake maintenance". Picked up the car later with them just handing me my key and work order...no explanations. Brakes sounded fine, but speaker still wasn't working. On the work order it said that "right" speaker wasn't working and had to order part. If they really checked into this, they would have been informed by us and the salesman that the speaker goes in and out, therefore, not the speaker, but must be wiring. Anyways, by Saturday night, the brakes were squeaking again. Grrrrrrrr Sorry to go on so much about this, but thought you might be curious. I've got a bad feeling that this car is going to be nothing but a constant nightmare. I realize that they are not obliged to replace the rotors, as it was certifiable, but I would hope that they would do it in good faith. They will definitely not get any recommendations from me, actually, they'll get the exact opposite. The customer service was terrible, and for a large dealership in this city, they can't afford negative feedback. Thanks for letting me vent, Ray. lol

Check your email