Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple

welcome aboard  feel free to post and answer questions

Car Buying Q & A
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Scion 2004 xB

Dear Ray,

I am looking at this 2004 Scion xB posted on craigslist through a private seller. However, I am wondering if this thing is reliable and would last me a couple of years more or not. I also want to ask if the price is fair and to be honest I will offer around 6500. The mile is a little scary, and should I be aware of that? Please lend me some help on making the buying decision because I am the first time buyer and I am confused and scared as hell.

here's the link:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/1316937984.html

Thanks a bunch!

p/s: test drive was not done yet, I just saw it as an ad. Again, Im afraid of making the wrong decision

Re: Scion 2004 xB

I could not open the link you provided, perhaps try to email it.

As for being scared, don't be as you are miles ahead digging for info something most consumers don't and end up with a lemon, I will help you but for starters let's try to solve the fact I cannot comment with a proper answer as I am not able to open the link ?

Ray,
I just emailed you the link

Hope to hear from you soon

Thanks

I checked the listing, looks good but buying privately is always buyers beware. I like the fact seller got all service records.
If vehicle checks out clean, a fair price will be in the $6000 - $6500. range for this location.

Here are the steps I would persue.
Examine the title or registration paperwork on the vehicle to check for liens, check the name on the certificate against proper identification from the seller. .

Test drive vehicle by following the steps " TEST DRIVE " in this website, should vehice still be of interest, next step is an independent mechanical inspection paid by you, should car have some issues, it will be a tool in the negotiation stage

' It's now time to negotiate price - not beforehand " should you make the deal, visit the DMV to make sure it's a clear title before any transaction or deposit.

Getting a history report does not mean it's 100% correct, but for the small fee worth every penny, click on one of the AutoCheck links in this website and sign up.

Ray,

What do you suggest me to do to eliminate the "buyer-beware" factors?

What should I do if the seller does not allow to take it to a mechanic?

Dan

NO,,, I don't suggest for you to eliminate buying private, it's just more risky than from a registered dealer ,,, if seller got a problem with you having an independent inspection performed,,, that to me is a big red flag. and I would walk away - there are thousands of other cars for sale whom would have no problems with this issue.

Ray, thank you so much for your prompt reply, it is much appreciated.

Now, my mind shifted to a different vehicle
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/1315700392.html
I called the seller and he agreed to:
1, test drive
2, independent mechanic

Again, my zip code is 95148....should I move forward with this deal? also, is the price good enough? What can i do to bring the price down? As a college student, I do not have a tons of money, so the more I can save the better.

Thank you very much for your help,
Dan