Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple

welcome aboard  feel free to post and answer questions

Car Buying Q & A
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Getting Deposit Back

Hi,

I just put a deposit on a Cargo Van yesterday, $1000.00. My instinct told me not to buy this car, the breaks were gone, the tires were worn at different degrees, suggesting something was wrong. I've decided that the vehicle is going to be more trouble than it's worth, the price was too high to begin with. I don't know what I was thinking, but I want my money back. I called the dealer, the person I signed the contract with wasn't there, I told the other person to leave a note that I want my mechanic to look at the Van, but now I just want my money back. Is there a 10 day cooling off period? On the contract it says deposit not refundable. Am I screwed out of my money?

Please help,
Thanks, Tom

Re: Getting Deposit Back

You don't know what you were thinking ??? Guess you got to learn to trust your instinct

There is no cooling off period. Getting your mechanic to look at the Van is the right move, but before any exchange of money or contract signed.

As for getting a refund I will be very surprised, but then again there are a few " very few " dealers out there were customer satisfactions has a priority.

If you don't get your deposit back, and feel you been screwed, please provide a link to the dealership. I have ways to deal with such matters.

it's Sunday, I drove by the dealership and the van wasn't on the lot. he had said he was going to put new tires and brakes. I printed out a letter from OMVIC to give to him to list the Liquidation Damages, if he doesn't give me back my money. On the back of the contract it says i can't break the deal, only if he agrees, i don't want to be forced into buying the Van and giving him another $10,000. My wife said she noticed another contract had a $500 down payment, so why did I put down $1000. I did tell him I needed him to get plates etc.

What should I say when i call him in the morning? And what can you do to help me?

Thanks,
Tom

I had no idea you were located in Ontario till you mentioned OMVIC, I could go into detail here but it's sunday night and I got other matters at hand.

Tell you what, send an email with your phone number where you can be reached between 9 - 11am tomorrow morning, I will ask questions and know if you will be entitled to a full refund.

You lost me with your wife? another contract had a $500. down payment ?

I deleted your last entry,,, I asked you to email your phone #, not post it,,,LOL,,, will be in touch early morning.