Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple

welcome aboard  feel free to post and answer questions

Car Buying Q & A
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Am I going crazy?

Dear Host:

I have been handed the responsibility to find a reliable car for a bargin deal at a budget of 6000 dollars. I have narrowed down the search to Toyota Corolla 2003 85k - 100k.

Observations:
Sticker price average 7000
Kelly blue book trade in value fair 4200
Viewed Carfax provided by deal website and it was a Leased car as well as 2nd owner before it was a trade in at Nissan kia dealership in CA. Car orginated in FL
Kelly blue book excellent condition approx 7000

I offered 4500 and they let me walk :) Im glad I ****** them off..hehehhe
After some more thought and research I called them back and offered 5000 they let it go. They indicated their RECON expense was high, so I asked for the documented work performed and parts replaced, they dodged the question but from the top of their head they kept repeating tires, oil change, filters, transmission fluid change oh yes and the notorious 50 million check point inspection :))

It couldnt of cost them that much for these things after all it would not cost me more then 600 retail.

Am I going crazy or being unfair? My absolute last offer would be 5500 but have not made it yet.

Please provide me your thoughts and expertise
Thanks a bunch!

Reshadit@hotmail.com

Re: Am I going crazy?

You are not crazy nor being unfair, in dealer lingo you are called a squirrel

You are playing the game step by step having done some homework on negotiations , I like that.

Re: Am I going crazy?

Thank you sir! It is nice to have someone affirm your work and research gives me some hope and more confidance so they dont break me. In your professional opinion should I call back and make another offer? I offer cash to purchase the vehicle, however I did not think this was incentive enough since they make money on financing.

P.S. Thank you very much for the prompt reply as I am in progress of applying all your recommendations on this site.