Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple

welcome aboard  feel free to post and answer questions

Car Buying Q & A
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Buying a used car - question

Hi Ray,

I came across your web site while looking for some tips on purchasing a used car, and I think it's great. You provide excellent advice which I think be very helpful.

Just wondering if you could answer a quick question for me. I'm currently looking to buy a specific car, which is rarely available locally. I will have to drive 2-6 hours to get it, but I have told myself I'll do my homework (vin check, inspection etc.)..

What do you think would be the best strategy, as these vehicles sell pretty quickly (the particular color, trim, etc.).

I am interested in one at a large dealership (but it's a US car). They usually sell for $25k-$30k, and this one is listed at the higher end of the scale. Should I make a conditional offer before heading out there, or go and get the inspection done first before talking price? I can pay cash, but I guess that's not really a bargaining chip...

I did some research, and I have a price in mind that I'd like to pay, but was thinking of making an initial offer of about 15% less than the asking price - to start.

They are available at both smaller used car dealers, and larger dealerships - and are priced accordingly, but are sold usually within a week.

Any advice on how to start negotiations with the dealer would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
J

Re: Buying a used car - question

Is there a link I can view this vehicle ? to determine fair market value.

It's a US car, I then assume your Canadian ?,,, buying a pre owned US vehicle in another country could be red flags.

Your first step is to find out if vehicle meets your expectations,,, then you can start the negotiation process,,, 10 to 15% is a reasonable start for negotiations