Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple

welcome aboard  feel free to post and answer questions

Car Buying Q & A
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
When mileage is TOO low...

Hi,

I'm looking at a used car that was made in 2005. It now has 15,000 miles on it, which is extremely low for a car this 5 years old. I had a look at the car and everything seemed to check out. The exterior and interior were in very good condition. I took it for a test drive, which included the highway, and everything seemed pretty tight.

This seems like such a great deal, but I'm worried that there might be something extremely wrong with the car because it has so little miles on it. The salesperson ran an Autocheck on the car and found no issues (weird?) except for the fact that it was leased. The check said that it had two owners that never really drove the car. My gut feeling is that this car might have been raced. Can you advise me on how I should approach this? Is it unusual to find a used car with such low miles in great condition?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance. I really love your website!

Re: When mileage is TOO low...

It's not unusual to find a car with low miles if you're in the right place at the right time, I went shopping with a friend during my last stay in Florida whom had a $7000. budget, and found a 2002 Cavalier that had just been traded at a dealership with 18K,,, like brand new asking $6900.

The price was way to high, but that was not my first concern " history and complete mechanic inspection checked this car perfect, negotiations now became the only concern. I offered $4500.but $6000.was the final number, I walked away.

Had this vehicle had normal miles it would be worth around $2000. in good condition, but this was an oddball. I waited for a phone call that never happened, but at the same time knew time was on my side because if dealer should sell vehicle in the meantime it would have to be a cash deal because banks don't finance vehicle's that old, and the purchase would have to qualify for a private loan, a factor that put time on my side.

My friend wanted to pay the $6000. I phoned the dealer next day and offered $5000.the salesman put me on hold to check with used car manager, came back and said sorry no deal, I then asked to speak with the manager, here is how I played the game.

Look,,, we both know this vehicle with normal miles has got a wholesale value around $700. to $1000.I am not trying to nickel and dime you, but here is the situation,,, my friend has only got $4500. and I may be a good friend but am only prepared to lend her $500. with her money being so tight it will take her months to pay me back, I realize that is not your problem, however I enjoyed shopping at your dealership,,, I am leaving for Canada in about four hours from now, but will be back in about 3 months, my friend will drive her old clunker till them, and I will make my first stop at your dealership upon my return.

The manager did not bite, the conversation ended,,, my friend said I want that car and I got the $6000.,,, I said OK,,, but let's wait 2 hours,,, the manager knows I am here but for a few hours,,, if he does not call back we will phone and except the deal at $6000.

The manager called back about 10 minutes later and the deal was sealed at $5000. Buying any vehicle is a game that I truly love.

In your case,,, an independent inspection by a good mechanic will confirm wear and tear about true mileage,,, you never stated type of vehicle - price or what makes you think vehicle has been raced ?

Re: When mileage is TOO low...

Thank you, Ray for the great response.

I'm looking at a 2005 G35 coupe 6MT. I found the sale from the internet and the asking prices were as follows:

- Sticker: 25k
- Internet Price: 21k

- After test drive and light negotiations stating that I needed to talk with my parents before purchasing: 20.5k (they're playing the game)

The place is quite far from where I live so I would want to minimize visiting the dealer a lot. This was the first time I went in and they tried to get me to sign the four square sheet.

I think it might've been raced because
- low mileage on a sports car
- the aluminum pedals are damaged (which is weird since nobody apparently drove the car)
- tire treads are a little low (could be low profile tires, I need to check)

Any suggestions on next steps?

Thanks again!