QUESTIONS - COMMENTS - SUGGESTIONS

Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple

welcome aboard  feel free to post and answer questions

Car Buying Q & A
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How to test drive w/o buying pressure

I am a small woman and have been very happy driving my Miata but now I need to find a new (used) car.
I'm only 5ft tall so finding a good fit is #1 on my list. (I had been driving with the seat so far forward I could put the spare tire behind my seat--IN A MIATA!!) I've learned that sitting to close to the airbag isn't safe. I usually have trouble with sight lines, being choked by the restaint system etc. I guess I need to try different makes and models but am leery of the reception I'll get at dealerships if I only want to research and am not ready to buy. Tips?

Re: How to test drive w/o buying pressure

Short or too tall I have come across many times, your best approch for you is to be in control - not the salesperson.

If you don't have a vehicle in mind start with show me a car that may fit my needs - let the sales people make all the adjustments they can - if you feel it may fit, then a test drive, after test drive, thanks for your time, I may consider,,, end of story

Don't visit a dealer " and say " I am doing research only I am not ready to buy,,, even I would try to brush you off

You need to be about 12 inches away from the air bag, many cars come with off switches,,, You can obtain a switch to install from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, or from a dealership, repair shop, or state motor vehicle office, if you want to pursue that option.

Here is a list posted by Edmonds.com - best fit for short people - good luck in your hunt

1. Scion xA: Although it offers few frills on the inside, a tall cabin design and great sightlines make this inexpensive five-door hatchback worth a look.

2. Mazda 3: Available as a sedan or five-door hatchback, the Mazda 3 offers good visibility and a standard tilt/telescoping steering wheel. Upgrade to the higher-line "s" model and you'll get a height-adjustable driver seat.

3. Volkswagen Golf, GTI and Jetta: Built on the same platform, these VWs are easy to see out of and almost anyone can find a comfortable driving position in them. Seat-height adjustment and a tilt/telescoping steering wheel are standard.

4. Mini Cooper: We've never been wild about its funky manual seat adjusters, but there's no denying that the pint-sized Cooper's cockpit is well proportioned for smaller drivers. A height-adjustable driver seat is standard, and visibility doesn't get much better than this.

5. Subaru Forester: If you really want an SUV, the Forester is just about the perfect size — it's tall enough to give you a nice view of the road but not so tall that you'll have difficulty getting in and out. A height-adjustable driver seat is standard. Around back, the Forester's liftgate is lightweight and a sturdy grab handle makes it easy to close.

6. Chevrolet Malibu and Malibu Maxx: Although roomy enough to accommodate people of all sizes, this sedan and wagon team is a good bet for shorter drivers — adjustable pedals and a tilt/telescoping steering wheel are optional on all models.

7. Honda Accord: The current generation of this well-rounded family car goes a long way toward keeping its occupants happy. Visibility is excellent in the sedan, thanks to a relatively low cowl. Besides that, seat-height adjustment and a tilt/telescoping steering wheel are standard from the LX model on up.

8. Volkswagen Passat: This premium family sedan has a cozier cockpit than the Accord or Malibu and features an exceptionally wide range of both seat-height adjustment and telescoping-wheel adjustment.

9. Toyota Sienna: The Sienna isn't the only minivan that offers a good view of the road, but it's the only one that comes standard with a telescoping steering wheel.

10. BMW 3 Series: Got a little more to spend on a car that fits you just right? Well, it would be hard to go wrong with the 3 Series. The sight lines are good, the seats are supportive and there's a multitude of ways to adjust both the seats and steering wheel

Thanks Ray. I appreciate your advice on how to respond after the test drive. I knew noone would be helpful if I told them I was researching for fit! I REALLY appreciate the info about airbags! I also found the car list you included and was going to use that as a starting place. I drive about 5K per year and mostly in town. I know that is bad on cars but those are the facts. I do care about MPG but since I log fewer miles than most people, fit and dependability matter more. I want to feel safe in rainy NW driving conditions w/occ snow. (I know tires are key.) I can't tell one sedan from another (not really a car person) so want to check out small hatchbacks. I'm looking for a dependable, low maintenance used car for 10K-14K. Sadly, I think I need to switch from manual to auto. Any additional tips? Thank you!!!

When you find the vehicle that is a fit and within your budget, don't sign any papers or leave deposit, send me a link, and I will check for value and red flags. Don't listen to any pitch the vehicle may not be there next day.

You are doing about 5K a year,,, and you care about gas mileage ??? you can afford to drive a Mac truck compared to other consumers,,,LOL