QUESTIONS - COMMENTS - SUGGESTIONS

Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple

welcome aboard  feel free to post and answer questions

Car Buying Q & A
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cash buying tips

Ray, you have lots of interesting advice. I think I need some clarification (from you or anyone).

I'm looking to buy a used car with cash, but you state not to tell the dealer this and that financing is how dealers can make a little more money on a sale. I'm wondering if it is a good idea to try to negotiate a lower price saying you will use dealer financing and then just pay off the loan in cash after purchase?

Or do you mean just to give the impression that you will finance only during the negotiation phase?

Thanks.

Re: Cash buying tips

Use dealer financing and pay off the loan after purchase - NO NO & NO, because you will be paying set up fees and minimum interest charges the minute you sign on the dotted line.

As mentioned in the website you simply say " have not decided " concentrate only on the final price, by saying have not decided you will have left the door open for the business office to perhaps profit

Your question opened my thoughts to an area I need to include into the website " thanks " I will send you a link when installed,,, it has to do with sometimes it's worth going with dealer financing and then cancel prior to signing contract.

PS,,, I just noticed you did not leave an email contact, do so if you want an updated link

Thanks for the quick response. After re-reading the page on negotiation, I see your point now.

It will also force me not to end up buying a more expensive car (by financing) than I'm prepared to pay cash for.

I'd rather not leave my e-mail in public, but if you can leave a reply or something as to what section you updated, I'll look it up.

In my opinion if at any way possible i.e. you have good credit or a credit union who likes you in spite of not perfect credit you should never shop for a new vehicle without a financing option already in place. That said, I would stay on price and not payments (even though they will give you both if you force them too)I would act interested in the payments they provide always being aware of what the price is that drives those payments so they think you are going to buy into the payments they have given you which they have loaded with 2-3 pts of rate ...I would NOT sign up for those rates ... or contract at all ... except the one you ultimately have them send to your credit union...that way you won't have to make sure they weren't packed with extras like etch or warranty or anything extra (buy nothing in finance) then immediately refinance it with your credit union where you can buy a warranty/ gap etc for about 1/2 the price as the dealers. I haven't reviewed Ray's method for buying but based on all of his answers here and on other well respected auto buying expert site I have seen him express his ideas whatever he says is at least one of the best ways to go and is usually THE best way to go ...I would never negotiate a car deal (ever) while sitting anywhere but the comfort of my own home in front of my computer ...and I would make sure I was not emotionally involved with the vehicle I was trying to buy and I would make sure I was not in a hurry at all...nothing like a day or two to think about things combined with a slow day or two in sales to make the idea of selling a car for less than they want just to not have a day where they sell zero cars to make your offer look attractive. (I would never buy a car with a trade also...sell it yourself (retail) on craigslist then with your pre approved financing in your hip pocket go find one you like ...then go home ...mull it over ...do your research ...come up with a fair and reasonable offer and hit them with it via email right between the eyes... the internet department people are notorious for giving great cars away way too cheap! start with them. Alot of dealers now have 'online negotiation programs' make sure you are dealing with a person ... computer apps don't have feelings and when it comes to car sales the fear of loss is greater than the desire for gain!!