Car Buying Q & A

QUESTIONS - COMMENTS - SUGGESTIONS

Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple

welcome aboard  feel free to post and answer questions

Car Buying Q & A
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Buying a car need help! Multiple questions.

Hello, I am looking at buying a used suv. I found the exact one I want (didn't tell dealer that) and I want to get a fair price for it.

Part One:

Car is out of state, 3 hrs away (not far in my eyes, driven further in past to get what I really want). It is listed for $25,000. After e-mailing, I recieved a $23,500 internet price. Still over priced I know. Then called the dealer to get as much info on the vechile as possible before I decide to make the trip to look at it. Didn't get into pricing details over the phone. Wondering should I start the negotiating process before I make the trip or wait till I am in person? Something is telling me to wait till in person because I then have the power to leave (more powerful than hanging up the phone?). Plus I am indifferent to the 3 hour drive.

Part two:

Did research on pricing (nada, kbb, edmunds, and even a site that provides black book numbers). Asked the dealer how they determine the value of vehicles and he blew off the notion of nada,kbb, edmunds and even the black book) Said they use Manheim Auto auction data. Other research I have done suggest that dealers reference Black Book and try to bid below that at auction. Another dealer once told me that a $1,000 profit over Black Book is fair for the dealer. Just curious what the truth is and what the best way to determing what they probably actually offered the previous owner when they traded it in? Is there anyone out there who has access to Manheim Auction Data that would be willing to look up a 2006 Toyota 4Runner 4WD with a V8 and low miles?

Part Three:

The last car I purchased negtions were a long and rough two day process (again out of state). Finally the dealer showed us what they had into the car and my accepted offer (not the out the door price) was $34 below what they had into the car. Is it possible to just ask this new dealer what they have into the vehicle I want and if they legitimately reveal that, What is a fair amount over what they have into the car to offer that is a fair price for them and me?

Part four:

Things that I feel are to my advantage are the vehicle has been at the dealership for over 3 months now, we are nearing the end of winter, gas prices are climbing and we haven't even hit the summer driving season yet where gas will go even higher (this a 4WD V8 suv), there was recently a recall issued on the vehicle, Prices have be reduced by $3,000-$4000 on similar 4Runners at other dealers across the country and even near by dealerships to the one I want. Are these valid negeotiating points and am I missing any other factors that I could bring up in negotiations?

Sorry for the lenghty post. This just seemed like the most ligetimate site to get answers from someone who knows the business. Thank you for your time and consideration when responding.

Re: Buying a car need help! Multiple questions.

Re... Part One

With the Internet in place dealers know they have to stay competitive with asking prices or buyers will shop elsewhere, it's not like yesteryear when a consumer went shopping for a vehicle priced at 12K and ended up with a 3K discount,,, without you having submitted a link I can't really tell you what a fair price would be,,, except $1500. discount seems fair ,,, but what other charges are involved???... Let's start with you confirming price is $23.500 plus taxes and DMV,,, nothing else hidden before you make the journey ???

Re... Part Two

You have made me realize I will have to update my website --- nada - edmonds - kbb and the black book to some degree for that matter is all garbage, the dealer answered you correct - Manheim auto Auction sheets for the past few auction dates are the most true wholesale prices for dealers. " and I will explain why, in the website when I find the time. thanks for the Q.
Now let's be a little fair here,,, would you go to Home Depot and ask for invoice price before purchase ?,,, every dealer will have past and present dealer auction sheets,,, if you can get the dealer to show you those while negotiations you will be the best I ever come across. " but " then again they may if vehicle got a shady past bought below the current true value.

Re... Part Three

Your last purchase was rough and long " lol " you are what we call a squirrel,,, consider that a complement,,, I think a fair price for vehicle would be about $3500. over what dealer paid at Manheim,,, I arrive at this figure with an average re- con progam and auction fees, leaving the dealer with a gross profit around $2000.

Re... Part Four

Without going into detail,,, your thoughts are not valid,,, let's do this provide me a link to the vehicle in Q to my email address,,, and I will submit to you what I think a fair price is

Thank you for your response. I would like to send you a link, but when I click the e-mail button it won't allow me to respond or view your e-mail (possibly because I don't have outlook installed). If you can view my e-mail address which I filled in when I originally posted please feel free to e-mail me at it and then I will be able to respond to you. Thanks Again!

Ahhhhhhhh, I know what the problem is now.

I am down in Florida for the winter and have switched service,,, email me at paulsenray@yahoo.com

Thanks! sorry for the additional post. Just wanted to get your attention if you didn't revisit the original post.