Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple

welcome aboard  feel free to post and answer questions

Car Buying Q & A
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Buying Used Car from Dealer

Hi,

I appreciate your help in advance. I'm in New York and I'm buying a user car from a used car dealer. I know (and I'm glad) that the practice in New York is that the dealer takes care of all paperwork with the DMV themselves (as in title transfer, registration and plates). I would just like to know that I receive all necessary paperwork from the dealer and he shows me anything if necessary. They already told me I am not getting the title the day I pick-up the car, because they need to bring it to the DMV to transfer it/register it for me. Agreed. But if I ask, they need to show me that they have the title and that ownership of the car has been transferred to them (dealer), correct? They didn't show me the title originally, because they got the car from another authorized dealer where it was returned as a trade in. So should I see the actual title before paying, can I demand this? Also, there was a lien from the last owner and the dealer told me they have a lien release. Should the lien be fully removed BEFORE I actually pay them for the car and drive home? Or is is enough for them to give me the lien release? I know it's a dealer and it's "fairly safe" to make the purchase, but I guess I'm just a concerned buyer trying to see what exactly needs to happen and what paperwork I need to receive from the dealer on the day of purchase. Thanks a lot in advance for your help!!

Paul

Re: Buying Used Car from Dealer

All should fall into place, if you want state the name of the dealer, and I will check them out for red flags

The place is called ELDORADO AUTO SALES in Brooklyn, NY. I called the DCA today and found out that they're licensed in New York and only had one consumer complaint back in 2006.

Should the title be made out to the dealer? I have a feeling that since they're getting it from the previous owner (authorized Honda/Volvo dealer) it might be showing the Honda/Volvo dealer on the title and possibly Eldorado written on the back as the buyer. Would this make sense?

I just want to be sure it's ok for me to pay for the car without getting the actual title. I've read more than one article where people say "no title no deal", but maybe that's the case when buying from a private seller not licensed dealer? I guess I'm just a concerned buyer...

Thanks Ray.

This dealer got no dirty laundry, go with it, everything will fall into place.

You are buying from a registered dealer and any lien's and transfer's is not to worry, had this transaction been from a private seller there would have been a few issues.

Good luck