welcome aboard  feel free to post and answer questions

Car Buying Q & A
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Approaching a car dealer with a bank draft

Hey Ray,
Thank you for the quick response. I did read your site thoroughly and feel much more enlightened. (Even chuckled a bit at section 12 thinking about my wife's parents and how they seem to think it's impressive to go to a dealer and offer cash) This was just a random ballsy idea that popped into my head and i wondered what you thought about it. I really appreciate your willingness to help people out with the whole negotiating aspect of car purchases. Here is a link as you asked to a car that I'm very seriously considering.

http://www.performancefordlincoln.com/details/Used+2005+Ford+FOCUS+ZX5%20SES%20Hatchback%204D+3FAFP37N45R154975+Windsor

It's giving me some trouble because I've checked around on autotrader.com as well as different dealerships in the area and haven't found many similar vehicles. According to Canadian Black Book the average selling price for this particular vehicle is a little over $5000 which seems way off. Edmunds.com is suggesting $6900 which is still $2k less. But nothing in all of Ontario seems to be priced that way at the moment. So it seems as if i don't have a leg to stand on as far as negotiating goes. I've already test driven the car once and the sales rep tried to start throwing some numbers at me but I told her i was just looking around at what was available in the area before i start talking digits. So technically i did "walk out" but without making any kind of offer. Nothing else i've looked at really tickles my fancy. I'll be testing out one more car tomorrow and depending on how that goes i'd like to attempt negotiation on the Focus.

Any and all thoughts you have will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again for your time

Neal