QUESTIONS - COMMENTS - SUGGESTIONS

Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple

welcome aboard  feel free to post and answer questions

Car Buying Q & A
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Considering Buying a GM Extended Warranty for 2010 Chevy Silverado

My 2010 Chevy Silverado is currently covered by the Certified Pre-Owned Warranty for another 5 months.

I am considering buying either the GMPP or the GMEPP.

The GMPP has been around for a long time, but is not backed by GM. The GMPP was formerly owned by GMAC, but was sold to Ally Financial and is now only licensed by GM to Ally Financial until sometime in 2016.

The GMEPP is very new having just been rolled out in late 2013. According to http://www.jamesblackcadillac.com/compare.html, the GMEPP is 100% owned by GM. More information is available here: http://www.jamesblackcadillac.com/gmepp.html.

The plan costs are below:

GMPP (Major Guard)
48 Months/32,000 Miles/$100 Deductible = $1,570.00
48 Months/48,000 Miles/$100 Deductible = $1,970.00

GMEPP (Platinum Plan)
48 Months/48,000 Miles/$100 Deductible = $1,690.00

The dealer where I purchased the Silverado has been very good to deal with. They replaced the dash because it had a crack in it which I only noticed after they serviced the vehicle for something else. They replaced the dash without any hassle. They also made other repairs under the CPO warranty without hassle or me even knowing they were needed. I did not pay anything for the repairs. I am hoping that they would continue to stand behind the vehicle if I purchased a warranty so that is one reason to do so.

Anyone have advice or experience with the GMPP or new GMEPP?

Re: Considering Buying a GM Extended Warranty for 2010 Chevy Silverado

When you bring a vehicle in for service that is still under warranty any recalls will be performed, at same time mechanics having a slow day love to find anything under warranty that may or close to needing to be replaced to add to their time card.

I don't have personal experience with your warranties being offered,,, but if both are covered by GM dealers throughout north America it comes down to reading the fine print to differ cost and what suits you best

Hi Ray.

Thank you for the reply. I guess having he dealer milk the warranty for many covered repairs is a good thing for the vehicle and for me so I will take that as a plus, I guess that I have to determine if the approximately $1,600 to $1,700 is a good investment versus taking my chances. Given that I use the truck for my self employment/business, I prefer to keep it in excellent condition. I also plan to keep it for 3-5 years longer depending on mileage and other factors.

One additional question, do you know anything about the dealer James E. Black Cadillac (http://www.jamesblackcadillac.com/compare.html) that is offering the GMPP and GMEPP warranties? When I search online for those warranties I find this dealer all over the search results. They appear legitimate from what I have read on forums where other people purchased warranties from them.

I don't know anything about the dealer, on the other hand if there were complaints I would have found them,,, dealer appears to be legitimate selling GM warranties with low markup cashing in on volume.

I am not going to sway you one way or the other buying an extended warranty,,, but consider this,,, 16 to $1,700 plus tax and a service fee if something happens is a fair chunk of coin, something really nasty has to happen to go beyond your layout.