Car Buying Q & A
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A question for buying a used car

Hi Ray,
Interesting and informative site.
So I'll try and keep it simple.
I've found a used car at a dealer i'm interested in, i've got the cash needed for the asking price, the price seems fair and the car checks out mech. and after test drive is good, plus mechanic check.
I want the car.
Should I try and get a lower price or just pay the asking price.
And if I do try and get a lower price how much is fair?
Thank you,
Gordon

Re: A question for buying a used car

WoW, I am impressed, if everybody automatically followed your steps this website could be cut down 30%.

So whom will win the next step, your wallet or your emotions, It's kind of hard for me to give you a proper answer with the details you provided, but yes you should try and get a lower price,,, Under Navigation did you check links #10 and #11 about how to negotiate ?

A vehicle in the 10 to $20,000 range an average of 1000 to $1,500 discount is not unreasonable,,, The higher the asking there may be more movement with negotiations,,, example,,, a vehicle priced in the 40 to $60,000 range, a discount of $3000. to $5000. is not out in left field

PS,,,If you found this site helpfull then please help me to expose this site to the masses by forwarding a link to your email contacts to bookmark,,, it may be their turn one day.

Ray, if the car needs brakes and tires should that be negotiated when making my offer?
And if the dealer can't or won't replace them, then it should be discounted from the sales price right?
Thanks again,
Gordon

I am getting a little confused here, are we talking about the same car you posted above on Jan 24,where you said the car check out with mech ? or is this a new find being sold AS IS,,, post or email me a link to view car.
paulsenray@yahoo.com

Ray Paulsen
I am getting a little confused here, are we talking about the same car you posted above on Jan 24,where you said the car check out with mech ? or is this a new find being sold AS IS,,, post or email me a link to view car.
paulsenray@yahoo.com

Email sent Ray.
Gordon

I did reply sending you an email that was returned, if you think I am going to start filling out forms to reply. you very wrong. now since this is posted in an open forum, you explain why I am a little ticked off.