VOICE OF SIKH YOUTH
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Problems with sikh boyfriend

Hi everyone, I have a problem with my boyfriend who is a sikh. I am a hindu girl and have been going out with him for about a year and half. He keeps his hair and wants me to also but i have been cutting my hair ever since i was little. Its really hard for me to stop since Im so used to it.
My question is when a hindu girl gets married to a sikh boy does she have to adapt everything about the religion or just follow the basic rules? And is it ok for me to cut my hair if i get married to him, like is him asking me not to cut my hair just his preference or something that is enforced?
Thanks
SATSRIAKAL

Re: Problems with sikh boyfriend

Hi,

Keeping hair is first basic rule of Sikhism, That is order of our Guru ji, And person who cuts hair isn't Sikh at all, Remember Sikhism is not by brith, its by choice.

You should think allot before marrying guy from other religion, you should ask yourself questions like :-

* Which religion I gonna follow after marriage ? (His/Yours)

* Which religious values your kids gonna have ? (Mind you there is big difference in both religions, ideologically)

* How much your religion matters to you or how much his religion matters to your boyfriend ?

Coz after marriage cutting hair can be big issue in Sikh family.

Sincerly,

Manwarjit Singh

Re: Problems with sikh boyfriend

u dont have to grow ur hair, 99% of sikh girls cut their hair, its only if your baptized its a must.