VOICE OF SIKH YOUTH
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: issue for all women

Alot of beliefs held by our religious leaders are cultural.

Guru Granth Sahib ji actaully says that the mouth that is in the cycle of filling with lies, is actually the REAL IMPURITY, not the natural monthly cycle of a woman.

As far as I know , in old Hinduism they used to believe alot in impurity and evil spirits. And a woman's period was seen as making her unclean. Guru Nanak Maharaj, clarified that it is th mind that is impure and that needs to be cleaned.

There's one gurdwara that doesnt allow woman to do akhand paat rol because jus in case she is menstruating (surely it'd be better to let her decide if she feels upto it or not). Another Sikh leader's jutha in India got offended when a young woman friend of mine (who is devoted to him) innocently sat on his bed in the travel coach there where in.

Sikhi is about cleaning the impurity of the mind, and not to get hung up with wrong thinking about impurity of the body.

HS

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

waheguru ji ka khalsa

waheguru ji ki fateh,

im sure this Q has been asked before, but I many have missed it...

I want to know as to why women, while in their monthly time, are discouraged from performing babaji da parkash or sukhasan di sevaa?

we are god made persons, so why are we not supposed to approach the guru granthji when we are "inpure", who says periods are a sign of inpurity anyways?

Is this a cultural belief or is it a religious one?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Re: Re: issue for all women

well said hs veer

the belief that women should stay away from guru jee's hazoori when they are menstruating is purely cultural

usually girls tend to believe in this crap themselves, not realizing that it's a meaningless ritual, and that having your period does not make you impure or dirty - it's a natural, god given process, that all woman must undergo... it's completely natural and pure, anyone who thinks of it as impure is not following sikhi properly

gurfateh

Replying to:

Alot of beliefs held by our religious leaders are cultural.

Guru Granth Sahib ji actaully says that the mouth that is in the cycle of filling with lies, is actually the REAL IMPURITY, not the natural monthly cycle of a woman.

As far as I know , in old Hinduism they used to believe alot in impurity and evil spirits. And a woman's period was seen as making her unclean. Guru Nanak Maharaj, clarified that it is th mind that is impure and that needs to be cleaned.

There's one gurdwara that doesnt allow woman to do akhand paat rol because jus in case she is menstruating (surely it'd be better to let her decide if she feels upto it or not). Another Sikh leader's jutha in India got offended when a young woman friend of mine (who is devoted to him) innocently sat on his bed in the travel coach there where in.

Sikhi is about cleaning the impurity of the mind, and not to get hung up with wrong thinking about impurity of the body.

HS

Replying to:

waheguru ji ka khalsa

waheguru ji ki fateh,

im sure this Q has been asked before, but I many have missed it...

I want to know as to why women, while in their monthly time, are discouraged from performing babaji da parkash or sukhasan di sevaa?

we are god made persons, so why are we not supposed to approach the guru granthji when we are "inpure", who says periods are a sign of inpurity anyways?

Is this a cultural belief or is it a religious one?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.