VOICE OF SIKH YOUTH
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wear turban instead of patka

Dear brothers:
I would like to share a true opinion of non sikhs whether,they are white, black hispanic or asian, regarding Patki and Turban.

I wear a turban now, but initially for one week, when I arrived in USA from India, I wore a patki. I was only in the eigth grade and had small thin beard at the age of 14. In the first week, all of my schoolmates, boys and girls naturally asked me what religion I belonged to, and what kind of head gear I had. I informed them that this is a Patki, worn by all Sikh children , and that teenagers and adult males wear regular Turbans. They wanted to see what the differnce was, and so I brought a book to school to show them the different styles of turbans.

When they saw the regular turban, everyone of them, suggested I wear a regular turban instead of a Patki. Boys and girls stated that regular turban made me look more masculine and acceptable. The concept of turban was easier for them to accept and understand instead of the patki. They could not understand the idea of a top knot, (juda) on the head . They, however saw the full turban as more masculine, suave and telling of a sikh.

I can honestly say that I have had a very positve experience because of my turban. All the negatives are small in comparison.

So my brothers, once you are in High School, or you get an early beard, wear a turban instead of a patki. Make sure the turban is neat, and correct for your size of head. This is very important. The turban may be the style of the English Sikhs or that of the Panjab, but it must be neat and of proper size.

If you are currently wearing a Patki, and you are in High School or higher , you must wear a turban. Do not hesitate to make this change. You will be perceived as more mature and masculine.

Sat Siri Akal.