Return to Website

www.Inrecovery.org.uk

Welcome To Our Forum

In recovery
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How Did You Become Interested In AAs Big Book ?

I was at an AA meeting and after the meeting a guy walked over to me and said . I AAs Big Book it says . Being convinced we are at step Three where are steps One and Two . Well my ego at that time would allow me to say I dont know so I went home and took the BB off the shelf and cleaned the dust off it and started reading it but still couldnt find steps One and Two . Shortly after that I joined a Big Book discussion group and found all the steps

brianh

Re: How Did You Become Interested In AAs Big Book ?

Having tried to stay sober in AA using my self will, and drinking again after 5 months, I reached my gutter and the only way out was to do this the way AA suggests.

I got myself a sponsor and was taken through the program. The Big Book helped me understand what the illness was all about and the 12 steps enabled me how to get well "one day at a time".

Re: How Did You Become Interested In AAs Big Book ?

Literally after what must have been my 2nd or 3rd meeting. My sponsor, who, sadly is no longer with us, bombarded me with all the "usual" pamphlets, leaflets, even news cuttings - and then said "Of course what you really need, for it all to make sense, is a copy of the Big Book".
The next day I 'phoned York and bought myself the edition of the time. No matter what I get paid in share options, bonuses, etc., that one, solitary blue book is, undoubtedly, the best investment I've ever made.
My daily ritual is; JFT Card first followed by a passage or two from the Big Book. A bit like my Bible, how much I read depends on how much Ive got to spend but somehow my God always makes sure Ive got, at least, adequate time to avoid the sense that I'm just skimming the water.
Col.