Return to Website

www.Inrecovery.org.uk

Welcome To Our Forum

In recovery
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Big Book

How do members feel about offering a free download of the Big Book on this site?
A very large proportion of AA's income enabling the fellowship to carry the message comes from Book Sales.
AAMolly

ps Love the design of this new site - congrats Jim

Re: Big Book

This file has been available on the web now for well over 10 years and as far as I am led to believe is used by some people as a reference tool on their desktop. It`s a very old file and is not a patch on the Big Book.

I think though, that newcomers and professionals visiting recovery sites can get a better understanding of how AA works by having a look at it.

Also, if you go to the official AA site, they allow you to read both the Big book and the 12 & 12 online now.
http://www.aa.org/lang/en/subpage.cfm?page=359

Good point though thanks for the post.

I keep hearing people talking about how A.A. 'works'. We must stop misleading people with this language!! Fact: For the majority of people who come to A.A. most of them don't get 'it, whatever it is? why? because nobody talks about the program, the fundamental reason for an A.A. meeting!When they do they can,t agree (opinion). No unity whatsoever??! They show more respect to the highway code than they do for the clear cut precise instructions of the Big Book. Thus people die! These days if you talk about the program/ Big Book you run the risk of being assaulted verbally or physically! This has to stop we need, urgently to get back to basics, clear cut precise etc etc. YOU are responsible! This program is inspired, look at the evidence, to mess with this stuff is to mess with 'God'

Hi John

AAs 12 step recovery programe is contained in the first 164 pages of the Big Book

The problem today is AA has become all Fellowship orientated and very little Big Book discussion meetings with most newcomers being told . Stay away from the First drink Being powerless over alcohol I needed a Power to enable me to stay away from alcohol

brianh

hi. because of opinion prevailing, due primarily to ignorance of the program, popular misconceptions prevail, they are so popular they have a nasty habit of becoming accepted fact! your own post illustrates my point exactly. the twelve steps are contained in the first 103 pages of the Big Book! Fact! I like facts, facts save lives! opinions kill. regards. p.s. the good news is if I show them how to thoroughly follow the clear cut precise instructions their chances are multiplied 20 fold +. we are responsible! any questions?

Have beeen a founder member of a BB discussion group for 17 yrs . If you look at the uk Where To Find 12 step meeting and BB discusion meeting are in a minority

brianh

facts and figures, what a load of ********

what is the point of a big book discussion meeting? I'm thinking about the newcomer! do u take them through the steps as they're discussing it? we really have to b careful as we don't know who's reading this stuff. we have 12 steps! 12 statements of fact based on the experience of the people who wrote the Book, who were obviously inspired. unless of course you believe a bunch of ex drunks, who'd have screwed up a 2 car funeral, did it without any help!!! all done in less than a year!! each Step begs A QUESTION ( ASSUMING YOU WANT WHAT THEY'VE GOT PP. 58)how did they do it. the Book answers every question. FACT. Newcomers deserve the best, it's in the Book, the only tried and tested way. regards.

I am refering to face to face meetings which consists of three tables Problem Table ie Dr Opinion
Solution Table ie We Agnostics Discussion Table discussing the first 164 pages of the BB

The group concience (suggests) the newcomer sit at Dr Opinion table to find out what we are suffering from . Then they move on to Solution table and then on to discussion table . We usually read half a page or a page only each week cos otherwise a lot of the things in the BB are missed

People can sit where ever they want obviously but if a newcomer sits at one of the other tables they usually sit at the DrOpinion table the following week

in fellowship
brianh

I too believe in back to basics

brianh