Return to Website

www.Inrecovery.org.uk

Welcome To Our Forum

In recovery
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
life without drink but a life of serenity?

I haven't taken a drink for a very long time; I've been active in service, I've attended meetings regularly but I confess to not having followed the 12 steps precisely. I now realise that whilst I have followed the steps to some degree (hence my long term of sobriety), I obviously haven't followed the programme as I ought to have done. Does anyone else feel the same?

Re: life without drink but a life of serenity?

christian,

I can identify exactly with this.
I will be 20 years sober this year(God willing)and it`s all thanks to AA. Until a few months ago I was in the same frame of mind as you, and felt for a long time that something was missing in my daily recovery. Like you I have followed the steps to some degree but without going through the program as suggested.

I now have a sponsor and he is guiding me through the steps.
I sat down with a "man of the cloth" last month and did my step 5 with him. I now feel completely free from the bondage of my past and now practise the program on a daily basis.

I felt that I was hitting a brick wall and was a bit "stale" in the recovery sense for a long time, and now I wish I had done this a long time ago.

Jim C

i have always wondered have i done enough,should i do more,i'm sure we have all felt the same.i have accepted i am powerless over alcohol,i came to believe a power greater than me could help me .i cleared the wreckage of my past,tried to change my selfish ways and help the people who want it,i have a contented life today,and i am very grateful for the life i have today,it doesn,t mean i have got it made,every day i have to do the things i have mentioned above.

The action I took last week last month or last year may not keep me sober today .For me it is the action I take today that matters .I believe I only needed to do AAs 12 steps with a sponsor once . By doing steps 10 11 12 on a daily basis cos step 10 encompasses steps 4 to 9 . AAs Big Book page 65 enables us to look at self and see what part of our lives is affected

brianh