Return to Website

www.Inrecovery.org.uk

Welcome To Our Forum

In recovery
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Al Ateen

My understanding is there are no Al Ateen meetings available in Scotland ?

brianh

Re: Al Ateen

Hi Brian,

I took this off of their wecsite:-
"Each Alateen meeting is sponsored by two experienced Al-Anon members who are screened and cleared to work with young people by the Criminal Records Bureau in England and Wales. There are a limited number of Alateen groups in the UK and the Republic of Ireland and none in Scotland."

You would think that since Al-Anon is growing in Scotland then Al-Ateen would be a by product of that.
Interesting thought is that maybe the social services have something in Scotland to deal with kids from alcoholic homes? Who knows???

I am sure there is one in whiteinch or scotstoun, but I am pretty sure it was whiteinch, my boy used to go there

Hi Jim

When a person takes a minor ie newcomer to AA they have to be vetted now too as discussed at Conference

brianh

Brian,

I remember years ago taking an underage to AA.
At that time I met with his parents and they were happy for me and another member (female) to take him to meetings.
Who would be doing the veting as this would be an anonymity issue I presume.
I must agree that something should be put in place ie; getting volunteers from AA to put themselves forward for 12 step work with minors,and allowing the authorities to vet them through proper processes.
Maybe something to put to intergroup at the next meeting?

Hi Jim

The subject of AA members taking newcomers ie minors has already been discussed at Dumbarton Inntergroup meeting .

brianh

Hi Brian,

What was the outcome of the meeting?
Has something been put in place as regards the issue of taking juniors to meetings?

JIM