Return to Website

www.Inrecovery.org.uk

Welcome To Our Forum

In recovery
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Speakers At Conventions

What does Conference say regarding the length of sobriety for Convention speakers ?

My understanding is it has always been a minimum of two years sober

brianh

Re: Speakers At Conventions

Yes, I think your right. Two years minimum.

Because the Lomond Gathering is a non - AA convention (or gathering) it doesn`t need to adhere to the guidelines. If memory serves, I think they decided to make it 1 year sobriety to speak.
There is a reason why it`s 2 years but that seems to have got lost along the way somewhere.!!

Jim

Hi Jim

I think it is worthwhile sending a question to Conference regarding the time a person ought to be sober before speaking at conventions

brianh

Hi Jim
What happens if a convention fails to clear itself financially .Who is responsible for the shortfall ?

I recall his being discussed when I was a conference delegate

brianh

I think this should be raised at intergroup.
The lomond Gathering is sponsored by intergroup, so should adhere to ALL the guidelines of AA for conventions. If the convention fails then I know Intergroup would cover the shortfall (they would need to as they support it)

I can`t make intergroup this Sunday as I`m on holiday, but if you could ask the question and see what the consensus is?

Also could you ask the question why no-one has bothered to touch the website this year? I said I would show anyone how to maintain it and no-one has approached me to take up my offer. If you can`t manage a job in Intergroup then you MUST pass the responsibility on to someone who can manage.

Another thing is the site fees must be due soon so I hope John McT has remembered. I sent him all the details so I`m sure it will be ok.

Jim