Return to Website

www.Inrecovery.org.uk

Welcome To Our Forum

In recovery
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tradition 3

A member of 10 yrs was voted out of a group by the members and told to leave and not to return. Is this not against tradition 3?
What is happening to AA in my area

Re: Tradition 3

Hi Jim

Has anyone discussed this with the General Secetary at GSO ?

brianh

What is desprately needed in our area is Steps and Traditions meetings

brianh

Any further developments with this from GSO etc ?

brianh

you cannot vote anyone out of AA, if they are causing a disturbance due to alcohol you can ask them to leave until they sober up. Everyone has a right to be at a meeting if they want to. Nurse Betty

Hi Betty
I agree with you but it has happened already in Dumbarton area last year where a female was banned from meetings and very often from meetings that she hadnt attended before. There were some groups who made her welcome my home group in cluded
I am a great belieer in Trad Three longform which states Nobody can keep you out .We are not a bit afraid you will harm us no matter how violent you may be . You are an AA member the moment you declare yourself

Hi Betty

Its nice to see you post .I havent seen you for ages
Are you still in the Thur night step meeting ?

brianh

Re: Tradition 3 Member getting kicked out of AA in 2010 (story of same thing happening in 1941 AA)

Hey there,
Matt Masterman here. Story of AA Los Angeles trying to do the same thing in 1941 before we had traditions.
(especially Tradition 3)
My experience when someone tried to kick a member out of our group in the 80's was to give them a copy of a letter that well intentioned AA members sent a newly sober woman Alcoholic, prior to Pearl Harbor in 1941.
Tradition 3 outlines what we can and cannot do.
We cannot deprive anyone of AA membership.
We can ask a distruptive member (a wet drunk) to leave a specific meeting if he's interrupting the meeting, but we cannot Vote the person OUT of AA, we can only protect that particular meeting from his/her particular distruption to that one specific meeting.

Here's the story retold, with a pic of my sponsor Sybil who told me the story about Irma Livoni, and AA in 1941
prior to the traditions.

http://www.barefootsworld.net/aa-irma_livoni.html

Much AA love to you all,
Matt Masterman
MattMasterman2001@gmail.com

As much as this is wrong i think maybe it should be spoken at intergroup maybe and not on a forum surely its cozing more harm to AA discussing it out in the open on a forum for everyone to see and not just AA members.

just a thought i might be wrong on this

Yes, I`m sure this is a delicate issue which should maybe be discussed at intergroup.
unfortunately Intergroup wont let this be discussed for some reason.

As with all other aa forums, people are allowed and encouraged to discuss certain issues which pertain to issues influencing their recovery.
This forum is for people to openly discuss any issues they like as long as it does not offend any individuals.

people who visit this site are generally people in recovery.

I.F.
Jim C

Hi Anonymous
At the time of this incident the suggestion made by the Gen Sec at GSO York was for Intrergroup to hold a meeting to discuss this situation .However the meeting that was held was to close down the forum on Dumbartons aa website because aa members complained about what was happening

brianh