Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Vitamins for 20-year old

I would like to know what type of vitamins i could give a 20 year old paint he is very healthy i have had him the past 6 years and he is just now getting to a point where i need to increase his vitamin intake he is Appendix Thoroughbred and a drop of quarter horse he acts like he is 5 years old extremely hiper. he eats alfalfa pellets only this is what he has eaten his whole life if i try to switch him onto hay of any sorts it gives him the runs really bad the old owner stated he was the same way as a baby. he has had a couple of shoulder injuries and i am a little worried about him because he does not heal as fast as he used to so what kind of vitamins can i give him. i also had him on a product called MoreGlow but it is so expensive that i could not keep it up please help me find something for my horse he is like my child i have no children and i would like for him to live as long as he can. I will be greatly appreciated thank you and God Bless you for all your help.

Where are you from? Arizona

How did you locate this forum? by surfing the web by accident!

Re: Vitamins for 20-year old

Hi Cajun,

Since your baby is getting up in years, he has special needs. His digestion is not as good as it once was, his joints are not as lubricated, his immune system is not as strong, and he is likely getting a little temperamental when his feeding routine is changed. Meal time is a very special time for horses, so if he likes his alfalfa pellets, there is no need to change. Alfalfa is highly nutritious with high quality protein and provides the extra calcium he needs.

There is a new supplement called “Command Senior” that has recently caught my eye. It is made by Brookside Equine Supplements. I like it because it addresses all of the issues I mentioned. If you are not able to find it, look for a supplement that has at least the following features:
It should contain:
1. glucosamine sulfate, MSM, chondroitin sulfate for joints
2. Essential fatty acids, particularly the omega 3 fatty acids from flaxseed
3. Antioxidants
4. Chelated minerals
5. Magnesium, calcium, and phosphorus in the proper proportion

I also would suggest that you feed a probiotic regularly to maintain healthy bacterial flora levels.

I hope this is helpful! Keep me posted on how he is doing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Re: Vitamins for 20-year old

I want to thank you for answering me back so promptly i have asked veterinarians questions over the internet and i have still not gotten a reply back yet i just want to say a Big God bless you for caring and for helping: As soon as i get my boy started on this i will let you know how he is doing,
Thanks again
Cajun

Where are you from? arizona,3

How did you locate this forum? by surfing the web by accident!