Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Muscle and joint injury

Dr. Getty,

Could give me a little information on shoulders if you would. My horse also hit his shoulder on the round pen rail another horse cut him off and he rammed his left shoulder into the rail. I talked to the doctor they said lots of rest and controlled walking; I have been putting DMSO and Veterinary liniment on it. It seems to help for a while I still do not ride him because he is still favoring that side just a little, I am old fashioned so I don’t believe in doping him up with Bute which is suppose to help the pain. What do you think of a form of aspirin instead he is so hyper I hate to give him any meds at all because I can’t tell if it is working or not. If you could just give me a little insight on what you think I just came off of a 1& ½ year right shoulder injury by the grace of God he is fully recovered on his right side. Some times if it isn’t one thing it is another. Please help if you can God Bless as always thanks again Cajun 

Re: Muscle and joint injury

Hi Cajun,

You bring up a very common problem with horses. I agree with you regarding the use of Bute for too long. It is only meant for short periods of time since it can have damaging effects on his digestive system. The use of DMSO is a good idea and it doesn’t have side effects. But, in addition, you want to focus on healing the joint, the surrounding muscle, and ligaments. To do this he needs adequate amounts of high quality protein. Quality hay – both grass and legume hays combined, will provide a high quality protein mixture. If you want to only feed a grass hay, they I suggest that you supplement it with Lysine (an amino acid that is not found in high enough quantity in grass hays).

In addition to protein, your horse’s joints will benefit from a combination of glucosamine, chondroitin, vitamin C, and hyaluronin. Most joint preparations contain the first two.

In addition to diet, you may want to learn a little about equine massage. As you putting on the liniment, your horse will thank you for the extra attention to his aching muscles.

Oh, and one last thing – about his being very hyper --- to help relax him and improve his mood, I really like using (now don’t laugh!) -- Bach Flower Essences. In particular, I would recommend that you purchase “Rescue Remedy.” They are safe for horses, and all your pets. And, they are wonderful for us humans, as well. Look them up on the web for more info. You can put about 10-15 drops on his tongue twice a day. I think you’ll find it helps ease his emotional outbursts.

It’s always a pleasure visiting with you,

Dr. Getty

Hello Dr. Getty the one thing i left out about the shoulder conversation is i realized this after i read it was that my horse has only eaten alfalfa pellets his whole life even when he was little the hay be it grass, bermuda or alfalfa he would get an extremely loose stool so that is what he lives on now i wonder should i try dry cob because he loves grain to increase his protein content please let me know when you get the chance. Also the massages are working i am going to start him to pull a little extra weight from the ground to increase his muscle tissue back something small like a car tire then work my way up to something heavier to help him to build slowly he line drives from the ground so this should help his shoulder and i am going to start the vitamin C also well i will be looking forward to an answer have a nice day.

Where are you from? arizona,3

How did you locate this forum? by surfing the web by accident!

Hi Cajun,

I assume you’re referring to corn cobs. They are very low in protein content. They are mostly fiber, so that would not be a good choice for high quality protein. I don’t think the alfalfa is giving him loose stools, but I would combine it with grass hays. If his stools are always loose, take a look at the posting on diarrhea – it may give you some ideas.

I am delighted that the massage is working. I bet he is really enjoying it!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr. Getty it is Corn, Oats,& Barley thats what
we call COB well they do at the feed store anyway let me know if this is good ok! Oh yes the vitamin C is working i don't see my horse favoring his shoulder or leg anymore so far so good. The Vitamin C and the Vitamin that you suggested i am feeding them with a handful of wheat Bran is that ok? He likes it i know that much please let me know what you think i am also having trouble finding Flaxseed oil or meal please help with a suggestion thank you again and God Bless!

Where are you from? arizona,3

How did you locate this forum? by surfing the web by accident!

Hi Cajun,

That's great news! I am so pleased that he's doing better!

The oats, corn, and barley mixture provides a lot of extra calories. And, frankly, I don't like feeding so many starchy feed items. I would stay with just oats.

There is a supplement called "Missing Link Equine Formula" by Designing Health, Inc. It is mostly made from flaxseed meal. I would recommend this one to provide the fat and the omega 3 fatty acids that are so important for his joints.

Wheat bran is fine, in moderation -- so a "handful," as you stated, is not a problem.

Keep up the fine work!

Dr. Getty