Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Canola oil as good as flax?

Hello Doc as always you are quick on the draw! Thanks again for answering back so quick, this is the only item I don’t have that you told me to add to my horses diet, he is really improving the vitamin C is doing wonders with the liniment massages and even the cool down rub. On Labor Day I took my first long distance ride just walking though no favoring or limping or nothing he danced and pranced the whole way about 14 miles round trip he did really wonderful thanks a lot Doc. When I get this all should be well

oh yes what do you think about vegetable oil or canola oil if I cannot find Flaxseed oil what do you think of these.

Let me know thanks again as always may God bless your day J!

Re: Canola oil as good as flax?

Hi Cajun,

That is wonderful news! You are doing such a fine job with him and I'm really pleased to know that all the changes you've made have made such a difference!

You asked about canola oil and it's a really good question. A lot of people add oil to increase calories, and oil is very well tolerated by horses. In fact, adding fat to the diet is a preferred way to add calories, rather than adding more grain.

Canola oil is a good oil, but flaxseed oil (or the fat from the meal) is much better. Flaxseed oil contains a large amount of omega 3 fatty acids whereas canola oil only has a very small amount.

Commonly used oils, such as corn and soybean, are mostly made of omega 6 fatty acids. These fatty acids promote inflammation, so I do not recommend them.

All the best,

Dr. Getty