Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Vitamin and mineral supplements

Hello!
I have a question regarding supplementation.
I own a 23 y.o. TWH mare and her daughter, an 8 y.o. who is 100+ days pregnant.
During this summer, the 23 y.o. starting losing weight. We discussed the situation with the vet and we decided on a diet change. We switched her to Buckeye Maturity (approx 3-6lbs every day) and oil ( 1/4-1/2 cup twice a day). I am pleased to report that she is starting to fill back in after about 2 weeks.
As I own a "old" horse and a broodmare, a supplement called "Neccessity" was brought to my attention. I read thru their website and decided to order a bottle. When I got the bottle, I noted that it cautioned against feeding to horses that are on a "fortified" feed. Well, Maturity IS a fortified feed (I'm not sure if the daughters feed is fortified as I could not find a feed sack to read!)!! I did give them both the Neccessity for the last 3 days-before I confirmed the Maturity was fortified. This leads me into my question: Can I "over-supplement" both of these mares? Can I do more harm then good? If I was pressed to speak on their condition, I guess I would say that they both lack "something". They get fly eye really easily. They both on occasion have runny stools (not often). The 23 y.o. is still needing about a 100lbs and the 8 y.o. IS pregnant and probably only a "5" on a body condition scale. What do you think? Should I continue to supplement them; maybe at a lesser amount then recommended? If they ARE being overdosed, what are the signs? THANK YOU so much for your help ahead of time!!!

Where are you from? Mukwonago Wisconsin,3

How did you locate this forum? Google search

Re: Vitamin and mineral supplements

I'm sorry-I forgot to add that they are pastured all year on grass and they both received a grass hay, 2 flakes each am and pm. They up the hay more towards our winter months. They are boarded so I'm sorry for the sparse information!

Hi Kim,

I took a look at both items and the fortification of the Buckeye Maturity is not very potent. So, there likely isn’t any overdosing occurring with the addition of the Necessity. The runny stools could be related to the feeding of the Maturity, since it is a grain-based product. However, as long as you do not feed more than 6 pounds each day, she is not overweight (the 23 year old), and she gets plenty of roughage, she will likely be fine.

As far as your pregnant one is concerned…
I wasn't clear about what you are feeding her. If you are also feeding her the Maturity, I would suggest that you switch to a feed designed for pregnant mares. And, I would give her a supplement such as Mare Plus or another pregnancy formulation, instead of the Necessity. The website for Necessity says that it is for broodmares, but it doesn’t indicate its mineral content, so I have no way of assessing its completeness.

At least half of their total feed intake should come from roughage. Grass pasture and hay is fine, but the protein quality is not as high as it needs to be. Consider adding a legume hay to their hay ration (such as alfalfa). This will give your pregnant mare the right proportion of amino acids to help the growing fetus.

I hope this relieves you mind. You’re doing fine. Your plan just needs a little fine-tuning to make it better.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

COOL! Thanks Dr. Getty, you made my night!!
I will check into the pregnant mare's feed more closely. I know she is not getting the same feed as the 23 y.o.; but I'm not sure what it is outside of just a "regular" horse feed. I'll look it up on the internet after I confirm what name brand it is. It's hard being in a boarding situation when things like this come up but the wonderful caretakers my mares have are doing everything that I request and everything that the girls need. I will pass along your comments regarding the hay as they have TWO pregnant mares due the same time as mine! Thank you again and thank you for providing such a wonderful service!!

Hi Kim,

Yes, I think it would be a good idea to take a look at what the "regular feed" is. If you're happy with it, then there is no need to change. However, as your pregnant mare gets further along, she will need more calories. During the last 3 months she will gain weight rapidly and her energy needs will significantly increase. So, her current feed should be evaluated more closely at that time.

Thank you for the kind words. I so enjoy visiting with other horse people. I'm pleased I was able to help.

Dr. Getty