Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Ration Balancer

I have an eight year old quarterhorse gelding that grazes 24/7 on pasture and hay in the spring, summer and fall.In the winter , he grazes on hay that consists of mostly alfalfa, clover,trefoil and about 10-15% timothy hay. I thought I would start him off slowly with a ration balancer to ensure that he is getting all of the vitamins, minerals. He is 14.3 and weighs appros.1,030 lbs. He is in good shape and is ridden mainly for pleasure about 3 times a week. What would you suggest would be a good ration balancer for me to choose for him? I live in Canada, so some brands may or may not be available to me. Thank you so much !

Nancy Doner

Re: Ration Balancer

Hi Nancy,

If you’re looking for a good multi vitamin/mineral supplement, I like Select I and Select II. Both are made by Richdel. Select I is for diets high in legume hays (alfalfa, clover), so I would suggest this one for your horse. It’s readily available on line. I do a lot of shopping at www.valleyvet.com but there are others. Or, you may be able to get your local feed store to order it for you.

If you’d like to add this supplement to some feed, without feeding grain, I would suggest a rice bran top dressing such as Select Vita Bran (also by Richdel).

Hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty