Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: feed mixes

Kathy,

I have recently come across a complete feed that is high in fiber (15%), and low in starch. You may wish to look into it. It is called "Safe and Sound" by ACCO Feeds.

Dr. Getty :)

Hi i have have recently bought a thoroughbred horse He was recently let out on the grass not much to it but stayed on it through out the day and night he is still on hard food. I have him on trial for two weeks he still looks to me a bit pinched in he is due to be wormed the weekend. I have gradually put him out on grass. Bringing him in at night as i dont want him getting laminitus, Can you help me find the perfect food for him plus grass and hay without making him to excitable to ride he is doing light work, have not rode him yet as giving him time to settle in. He is 16.2 and body weight is around 500-550 kg i dont want to give him too much etc and make him ill, He's at grass now 3/4!s of the day increased gradually every day hope this is the right thing to do. he!s on same grass none has been added to it.

Where are you from? Wookey

How did you locate this forum? Web site

Hi Claire,

Congratulations on your new horse. You really need not be concerned about laminitis while grazing at night. The grass, during the night hours, has the lowest sugar (fructan) content. This sugar, in high quantities, can cause laminitis in susceptible horses, so taking such a horse off a rich pasture in the late afternoon (when fructan levels are at their highest) is something to consider.

But, in your case, if you can let him graze 24 hours a day, that would be the healthiest way to keep him.

To supplement the grass hay, give him some alfalfa. You can use hay, or packaged alfalfa products. To add energy for riding, you’ll want to add a low starch feed. Are you in the UK? Dodson and Horrell makes a horse feed called Safe and Sound, which is low in starch and fructans and high in fiber. That would be a good choice.

You’ll also want to add a good multiple/vitamin mineral supplement, fresh, clean water at all times, and a salt lick.

Hope this helps!

All the best,

Dr. Getty