Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Feeding a 3 year old

I have a three year old welsh cob and plan to feed

Speedy Beat, seaweed and garlic (twice daily) with haylage and not hay. Haylage doesn't have the same fiber content as Hay so what can i feed to replace the fiber. I have been advised straw but my yard doesn't have that. Could I feed Bran? She wont' be doing much work over winter so no need to increase her energy levels.

Thx:)

Where are you from? UK

How did you locate this forum? Google search

Re: Feeding a 3 year old

Hello Alex,

Since you do not want to add extra calories to your horse's diet, I would not suggest that you feed bran. Brans are highly digestible and therefore provide energy. They are really not the best sources of fiber because so much of their content is digested. They are a wonderful way to add calories to the diet without feeding grain. But, they won't fit your particular need.

If you are looking for a fiber source that will give your horse something to eat that will keep it busy between meals, I would recommend an indigestible fiber source such as chaff or grain hulls.

Thanks for writing!

All the best,

Dr. Getty