Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
McCauley's Feed

Hello,

What do you think of McCauley's Feed?

Re: McCauley's Feed

Hello Fresianlady,

McCauley’s Feed is made from oats and corn, and some of their products have added molasses. Because this feed is very high in starch, it is potentially dangerous if fed in large quantities. Starch that doesn’t get completely digested in the small intestine will enter the hind gut where it will be fermented by bacteria into acidic products. This acidic environment can kill the bacterial, resulting in the formation of endotoxins that can lead to laminitis.

I particularly do not like feeding corn to horses because it is very poorly digested in the small intestine and therefore, the risk of it being fermented in the hind gut is much greater than with oats. However, oats can also be problematic if fed in the recommended quantities.

Rather than feeding a grain-based feed, such as this, try finding a product that is made from rice bran, soybean meal, flax, and alfalfa. If you want to supplement with a grain-based feed because your horse is requiring a great deal of energy for work or performance, you can generally safely feed up to 4 to 6 pounds of such a feed each day (with no more than 2 lbs at each meal). However, if the horse is overweight or has a history of laminitis, I would not recommend feeding grain at all.

All the best,

Dr. Getty