Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Old horse who can't gain weight

I have a 20+ year old horse. he has severe weight loss. nothing seems to be putting weight on him. someone suggested blue seal products. can you help?

Re: Old horse who can't gain weight

Hi Cathy,

Any feed that is higher in calories will be beneficial. But, you want to look for one that is higher in fat. Complete feeds such as Blue Seal, and others, are not only higher in fat, but also are grain-based. So, feeding higher levels increases the risk of digestive upset.

Therefore, I would recommend that you add more forage to the diet. Give him extra high quality hay, such as alfalfa, or add beet pulp to the diet.

In addition, I would suggest a weight gain supplement. I like Weight Builder (by Farnam). There are other weight gain supplements available. Just look at the ingredients and make certain that the main component is from plant oils.

You should make sure that he is getting a probiotic daily and a good overall multi vitamin/mineral supplement. As horses age, their ability to absorb B vitamins tends to decrease. The probiotic will help with this. Also, you can give him a B complex supplement. This will increase his appetite as well as his overall health.

These are some basic suggestions. Hope you find it helpful. Let me know if I can assist you further.

All the best,

Dr. Getty