Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Chronic laminitis

I have a 6 yr old TB in foal due in April 2005. She has been diagnosed with chronic laminitis and the vet said put her down, I said no. She has rotated 8-12 degrees in her front left the right I'm not sure. She is on soft sand only and given only hay and whole oats with a hoof supplement bought at a feed store. She also has a recent abcess(1wk ago) ruptured. She was diagnosed 2 12 wks ago. She is actually doing better than before. She is also on bute with a nutrition buffer before dosage to protect her stomach. Any suggestions? I want to save her she is my first!

Re: Chronic laminitis

Hello Tammy,

I know how much you love her and I would not want to put her down either! I have a few very important suggestions for you:

1. Stop feeding her oats! This is critical. The oats may have actually contributed to her founder. She should never be fed grain again. Instead, feed her stabilized rice bran (ADM Alliance makes several excellent products).

2. Do not give her bute. Bute can decrease the amount of nitric oxide in the blood, which reduces circulation to the foot, and actually aggravates laminitis. If she is in pain, you can give her aspirin. Aspirin also blocks prostaglandin production.

3. She needs extra calcium and magnesium. Alfalfa is an excellent source. Try adding some alfalfa cubes or pellets to her ration. The hay is fine, too, if you can find a safe source. Alfalfa will also boost her protein quality intake, which she needs to build new hoof tissue.

4. There is an excellent product known as Lamina Saver -- you can find it on line -- the mixture is proprietary, so I do not know the exact ingredients, though I have an idea. However, it has received excellent reviews and I have several clients who swear by it. It is expensive but worth it.

Please keep me posted.

All the best,
Dr. Getty