Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
founder/laminitis

Some one gave me a 3 year old pony mare today. She has foundered each year since she was a yearling. She was limping when I looked at her a few days ago after having been let out in a larger pasture that had NO green grass. Today she is barely lame. They have always given bute everytime she went lame and I see you say asprin is better. She isn't really fat and I plan to get her on a good balanced diet with vit. and min. and digestive aid. I suspect that she goes lame from other things besides green grass. She seems fine otherwise but does have the fat neck you sometimes see after founder. My question is what would the dose for the asprin be and will the grass that is starting to come up now that rains are starting hurt her? Anything else you can offer in advise will be greatly apreciated. Thanks.

Where are you from? Anderson

How did you locate this forum? web search on founder

Re: founder/laminitis

Hello Kelly,

Yes, I prefer aspirin because it has less potential for digestive damage and also it improves blood flow to the foot by reducing platelet formation. You can safely give 3 grams of aspirin, every six hours. However, it is not intended for long term use. So, for chronic founder, you’ll want to deal proactively by doing what you can to prevent an attack in the first place.

The grass could definitely be an issue and since she improved when there was no grass, it indicates that her pasture grazing should be limited. Let her graze in the morning, when the fructan levels are at their lowest. They peak in the late afternoon, so she should be removed from the pasture during the latter part of the day.

I would suggest two main things:
1. A probiotic on a daily basis for a month, and then reduced to every few days, once she is free of symptoms. This will keep her bacterial flora in her large intestine in a healthy state.
2. No grain at all. Instead feed her a high quality mixture of grass and legume hays.

Keep me posted on how she is doing!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Re: founder/laminitis

How would you suggest giving the probiotic? I have Forco and I have Equipride which is vit., min. and digestive aid. Do you think the EquiPride is good enough or should I use the Forco? Thanks.

Where are you from? Anderson

How did you locate this forum? web search on founder