Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Laminitis

Hello,

I had bought a horse about two week's ago and had my farrier come to shoe the rest of my horses and look at her.She already had shoes on so I just had him look at her.He said she had founder in them really bad.What should I be looking for and what need's to be done to get it treated?

Thank you.

Re: Laminitis

Hi Donna,

If she does not appear to be lame, she will likely grow healthy hoof tissue. Your farrier was likely referring to the characteristic rings that form on hoofs during founder. If you are concerned about coffin bone rotation, your veterinarian can X-ray her feet to determine the degree of damage. If it is minimal (and it likely is, if she is not exhibiting signs of lameness), the best thing to do is to prevent another attack.

If you have plans to work this mare in performing events, any coffin bone rotation may be an issue. A thorough examination by your vet is the best course of action.

Let me know how she’s doing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty