Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
New to horses and worried about laminitis

Hello,

I am new to horses and we just got a mare and a gelding . They are 5 and 6 years of age . I want to learn all I can about horses. The mare is acting like she has laminitis . I have read alot about it because we were told that she had it once before . What can I do that is not going to cost an arm and a leg?

Thank you.

Re: New to horses and worried about laminitis

Hi Nicole,

Since these are your first horses (congratulations, by the way!), I would suggest that you start out by reading about basic horse care. A really good starting book is “Horses for Dummies!” And, then I would suggest that you consider subscribing to a horse care newsletter, such as “The Horse Journal” -- you can find it at www.horse-journal.com. There are several magazines that are wonderful, as well. I think one of the best is "The Horse" – you can find it at www.TheHorse.com.

One of the many excellent websites is www.equisearch.com that will provide you with a great amount of information.

About the laminitis – if your mare is having an acute attack, you should contact your veterinarian right away. Laminitis needs immediate treatment. While you’re waiting for the vet to arrive, do the following:
• Remove all grain or grain-based complete feeds from her diet
• Give her good quality hay
• Administer a pain reliever such as bute or aspirin. I prefer aspirin – you can give her 3 grams every six hours.
• Give her a probiotic daily until symptoms subside.

If her condition is chronic, you may want to consider a long term plan. If you would like for me to assist you with that, let me know.

Hope this is helpful!

Congratulations on your new adventure!

Dr. Getty