Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
joint supplements

Hi!

There is so much information and products on the market in regards to Glucosamine and Chondroitin. Please Help !!! What are the percentages of each of these to be the most effective I have HEARD that Cosequin is the best product on the market ???? but is only available in the U.S or through a vet. Is there any off the shelf Canadian product that is comparable if my sources in regards to Cosequin are correct. This is for a 15 yr. old mare as a preventative/maintenance supplement.

Thanks for your assistance.

Catherine

Re: joint supplements

Hi Catherine,

Glucosamine HCl and Chondroitin Sulfate are generally supplied at a 3:1 ratio in most supplements. There is one ingredient, however, that is more promising – that is Hyaluronate. The product called Fluid Action HA by Finish Line, contains this as well as other helpful substances such as the Glucosamine HCl, Vitamin C, MSM, and Yucca.

If you cannot find this product, or something similar, in your area, you can likely order it on line.

Hope this is helpful,

Dr. Getty

Thanks for your help -- much appreciated!!!

I was always under the impression that for optimum effectiveness that you needed both Glucosamine and Chondroitin together. With the new ingredient is that not the case ?? Is Hyaluronate a substitute for Chrondroitin ?? Are the conditions it treats the same or different than Gluc/Chron mixture? I have also been giving my horse herring oil as I understood that it assisted in the absorption of the Gluc/Chron? She is quite a stocky mare and I am trying to keep her weight in line-is this oil the correct way to proceed or is there another oil that will do the job-not to sure if the oil is a weight enhancer. We are just pleasure riders so she is not worked hard. Sorry for all the questions but your advice is a great help !!

Thanks
Catherine

Hi Catherine,

Hyaluronate has, up until recently, been administered by injection with wonderful results. But, now it is offered as an oral supplement and is showing great promise. It doesn’t replace chondroitin, but chondroitin sulflate is the weaker component of the glucosamine/chondroitin pair.

Herring oil is high on Omega 3 fatty acids known as DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) and EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) which are wonderful for joint health. However, giving her too much oil will definitely give her a highly concentrated source of calories and hence, lead to weight gain. If you find that she is gaining weight, you can lessen her dosage. Or, you can give her a flaxseed meal, which provides Omega 3 fatty acids as well as high quality protein. I also prefer the flaxseed because horses are herbivores and I prefer to not feed animal products.

So glad to help!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Re: Re: joint supplements

I have a 15 year old gtr horse that has a bone in his hock that is fussing together. what can i give him to help?

Where are you from? paducah, ky

How did you locate this forum? searching internet

Hi Mary,

There are various therapies that your veterinarian may be able to offer you to relieve pain and stiffness. From a nutritional perspective, the best you can do is offer support for the bone and cartilage by feeding joint supplements such as MSM, glucosamine, and hyaluronic acid. Additional vitamin C will also be helpful in producing new collagen. And, a diet high in omega 3 fatty acids will ease inflammation. Finally, I would make sure he is getting at least 2000 IU of vitamin E each day.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr. Getty

I have a query that is within this area.

I have a pair of 3yr old twin geldings. All was fine until one of them developed a 'toe in' conformation from the fetlock joints. No lameness has occured until recently. Trips to the vets for x-rays show no evidence of bone change, and the next session will be for nerve blocking.

Clinical signs include:-
Small swelling to the outside of the Pisiform bone in the knee, pointing of one fore leg and lameness on the turn. No heat, no pain on flexion.

until we have a diagnosis, is there something you can suggest to keep him happier, or more to the point act as a preventative measure for futher trouble.

He is at grass 24hr of the day, good grazing and receiving only 2lb of Dodson & Horrell Pasture mix. Not in work either. Slightly tubby!

I will gladly get something from abroad, but of course if there is a UK suppier - brilliant.

Kind regards

Lucy

Where are you from? E. Sussex, U.K.

How did you locate this forum? serching for nutritionalists

Hey lucy,
Your poor little boy. Can I ask you something? Have you had a really good farrier take a look at him since this happened? I know it sounds silly, but no foot no horse, and I've seen farriers fix things vets were stumped about. I'll let Dr. Getty tell you what to feed him (take the advice, she's really good!)

Where are you from? CA

How did you locate this forum? originally, google

Hi Lucy,

I took a look at the Dodson and Horrell Pasture mix, and while the exact ingredients are not listed on their website, it does say that it is high in grain. High carbohydrate diets have been implicated in developmental bone disorders in young horses. I notice that Dodson and Horrell makes a product called "Safe and Sound" that is much better to feed.

Also, growing horses need additional lysine in their diet to help produce body tissue (bone, muscle, tendons, etc). You can get this by adding lysine to their diet, or by adding a legume hay, such as alfalfa, to their grass hay and/or pasture intake.

A good joint supplement would also be helpful, in particular – hyaluronic acid – to help maintain proper lubrication.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck with the next session.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Dr. Getty
Thanks I'll start on 'Cortaflex HA' with Hyaluronic Acid. I think it has a higher HA % for a loading period, and get some D+H Safe and Sound with Alfa-A

Jamie,
Yeah my remedial farrier has been great, he is an AWCF, so maybe I could go higher though. We have used egg bar shoes which do straighten his legs slightly, but he is quite close coupled and has pulled them off several times! I'll keep trying that route too!

Where are you from? E. Sussex, U.K.

How did you locate this forum? serching for nutritionalists