Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Cracked hooves

Hello Dr. Getty,

My main concern right now is a 2 1/2 year old filly that has problems with her hooves cracking vertically..not so bad as to make her lame but I worry about them all the same.

Is there a suppliment that could help her grow healthier hooves?

Appreciate your time,
Lora

Re: Cracked hooves

Hi Lora,

Thank you for writing. I appreciate your concern for your filly.

There are many excellent hoof supplements available. One of the products that I recommend to my clients is Hooflex+ (made by Absorbine). It contains a large variety of nutrients in addition to those that are specific to hoof health, so if you are already giving her a vitamin/mineral supplement, there could be some overlap.

Hoof health is very much like the condition of our nails. When our nails chip and break easily, it is a “snapshot” of what our health is like on the inside. The same thing with your filly. Poor hoof quality can indicate that she is using the nutrients she has available for maintaining more vital organs. But since there aren’t enough, her hooves will suffer the deficiency.

All the best,

Dr. Getty