Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
dull coat

Hello,
I have 3 racking/walking mares. We show them regularly during the spring/summer months and go on regular trail rides. The horses are boarded at a local farm and are fed a 10% sweet feed along with rice bran. They are all wormed regularly and up-to-date on vaccinations. I am concerned about the condition of their coats. Their coats just don't look very good. The hair just doesn't have a very healthy glow to it. Their hooves are also dry with vertical cracks in them. I'm concerned that this could be an indication that their overall health is not good. What would be your recommendations?
Thank You

Where are you from? Georgia

How did you locate this forum? Google Search

Re: dull coat

Hi Dina,

You’re right about their overall health because the condition of the hair and hooves is a “snapshot” of what is going on inside the body.

I would suggest that you take a close look at the hay that they are receiving. A good quality hay mixture of grass and legume hays (alfalfa, clover, peanut) is ideal since they complement each other and provide a high quality source of protein. Legume hays are especially good for your mares because of their fat soluble vitamin content (Vitamins A, D, E, and K).

I would also suggest that you supplement their diet with a top dressing that will provide Omega 3 Fatty acids such as Omegatin or a Flaxseed Meal dressing.

Let me know how things progress.

All the best,

Dr. Getty