Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Epiphisytis

I am recently getting back into the horse business. I have an 8 month old paint filly that I have been told by a knowledgeable friend that she has epiphisytis? I'm told that this is due to too much protein. What should I do?

Re: Epiphisytis

Hello Chris,

Thank you for writing about your filly. Epiphisitis is a type of joint and bone deterioration that can occur in fast-growing young horses who receive heavily concentrated diets. This can lead to excessive weight gain, which puts strain on the joints.

The problem is not limited to too much protein; it can also be from too much fat, mineral imbalances that especially relate to calcium and phosphorus, and too much grain.

If you are doing so, I would suggest that you avoid the temptation to feed a lot of sweet feeds and treats. And, avoid feeding grains such as oats or complete feeds that are grain-based. Instead, feed a high quality forage mix of grasses and legumes. And, if she needs extra energy for work, you can supplement the diet with safe forages such as stabilized rice bran, beet pulp, and flaxseed meal.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

I also have a paint filly. However, her problem is located in the inside hocks right on the growth plate. She has a swelling on each hock about the size of a small orange. They are very sore to the touch. I was just sick since this occurred at a very rapid pace. They appeared in a matter of a few days. She is not lame but just sore. We were feeding a 16% complete feed with good alfalpha hay. We are backing off to grass hay and also to a 12% grain. Do you think this will be enough. I had the filly sold but probably won't now. They say it is not permanent. How long before I see a noticable improvement?

Where are you from? Fredericksburg, IA

How did you locate this forum? Search equine health

Hi Patricia,

If your horse has been diagnosed with Epiphisitis, you'll want to keep the alfalfa and remove the grain from the diet. Also, it sounds like your horse has gaps in his vitamin/mineral intake, so a good multiple supplement would be worth considering.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Alfalfa usually has a 5:1 to 8:1 or even greater ratio of calcium to phosphorus, because it's a legume. Seems like a young horse would need a supplement of phosphorus if only alfalfa hay, with no grass, is fed. I understand that the ideal ratio of calcium:phosphorus is 1:1 up to a maximum of 2:1 for a growing horse, but adult horses can handle a diet skewed with higher calcium ratio better than a youngster. Grass is usually about 1:1 to about 2:1 Ca:P. There are phosphorus supplements that can be added to a horse's diet. I only feed mixed grass/legume or straight grass hay to avoid the excessively high protein and calcium levels that can cause nutitional problems from too much calcium/too little phosphorus. Alfalfa can also be VERY high in protein, maybe up to 20-30%, if put up right, in pre-bloom stage. That's a LOT of protein! Some vitamin supplements are made specifically for the high-protein, high-calcium alfalfa diet. By the way, grains are naturally higher in phosphorus than calcium, so usually calcium is added to grain feeds to bring the Ca:P balance closer to a horse's needs.

Where are you from? TN

How did you locate this forum? searching Google

Hi Nancy,

I don't recommend feeding only alfalfa for many reasons, including the ones you mentioned. A diet that is mainly from grass hay, with some alfalfa added, is best. The protein content of both of these forages is not complete unless they are provided together to complement each other.

So, I think I may have made it sound as though alfalfa should be exclusively fed. That was not the case. Adding some to a grass diet is helpful to a growing horse to boost the overall quality of protein, as well as increase the calcium intake.

Thanks for writing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

As an owner of hard-working reining horses, who have to have sound joints, especially hocks, I feel that I have to weigh in here. While none of us want to see any sort of developmental disorders, not every irregularity causes major soundness problems. Most puffy areas don't really present a problem to performance. Most performance horses have puffs on their hocks and/or ankles. Epiphysitis may not affect performance. However, the large swelling inside the hock can be a symptom of a more serious developmental disorder. I agree that nutrition is vitally important. But if the 9 month old paint hasn't been seen by an equine veterinarian, I urge her owner to make an appointment right away. It's very important that it be formally and correctly diagnosed and treated. Getting proper medical treatment now may determine the future soundness of this youngster.

Where are you from? Poolville TX

How did you locate this forum? previous participant

Hi Pam,

Thank you for the sound advice. Before a nutritional intervention is implemented, medical abnormalities should always be assessed. That way, nutrition can play a complementary role with medical treatment to expedite healing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Re:GROWING RATE

"I HAVE A AN 8 MONTH OLD FILLY(PAINT), AS SHE IS MY FIRST (YOUNG)HORSE...I WAS WONDERING, WHAT IS THE BEST DIET FOR HER.,AS I AM ALSO IN QUESTION ABOUT HER SIZE!, I WAS TOLD BY HER BREEDER THAT SHE SHOULD BE ABOUT 15-2 HANDS WHEN GROWN,.SHE IS "BETTER BONED" THAN OTHER FILLY'S HER AGE,ALTHOUGH SHE IS SHORTER, SHOULD I BE CONCERNED??...MY VET TOLD ME THAT SHE HAS GOOD BONE, AND SHOULD GET BIG!, BUT MY FARRIER,SAID SHE WON'T!,....DO THEY HAVE "GROWTH-SPURTS" AT CERTAIN AGES??

Where are you from? OJAI,CA.

How did you locate this forum? LOOKING UP A HORSES DIET

Hi Dena,

While I cannot help you predict her adult height, I can tell you that it will depend on her receiving adequate and correct nutrition in order to help her reach her potential.

Growing horses require a full complement of minerals, so a commercial feed designed for growth, fed at directions, or a supplement such as Mare/Foal IIP, for growth, is appropriate.

You'll also want to evaluate your hay for its lysine content, since growing horses need at least 44 grams of lysine (an essential amino acid) per day. If you're not sure, consider supplementing lysine.

Add alfalfa to her diet to provide the additional protein and calcium she needs. She should get approximately 30% of her hay intake from alfalfa.

And, finally, stick with low starch -- too much starch (and sugar) can lead to osteopathic disorders in growing horses. So, avoid sweet feeds that are cereal-grain based.

All the best,

Dr. Getty