Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Supplemtents

I have been experimenting with a variety of joint and anti-oxidants for some time and am getting frustrated by not having a clear idea of which one is the best. Is there a guide to the best and worst supplements?/ ..quality wise.

Joy

Where are you from? New Kent VA

Re: Supplemtents

Hi Joy,

For joints, I find that the best supplements contain HYA – Hyaluronic Acid. There are several on the market. Fluid Action HA by Finish Line is one that I recommend.

A good overall multiple vitamin/mineral supplement is better than just providing antioxidants. One of the best is Platinum Performance Equine.

You’re uncertainty regarding supplements is quite understandable. There are literally hundreds to choose from and often times, horse owners end up “supplementing the supplement” to get everything they want. This can be dangerous since it can lead to overdosing many nutrients.

Thank you for asking about this. It is a very important and relevant issue.

All the best,

Dr. Getty