Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
colic

It is 4:45 am and I have been up all night walking a sick horse that I am almost positive has the colic. I saw colic a lot as a child, growing up around horses and I have spent many a night walking colicky horses - some lived and some died. Of course, I haven't seen colic in over 20 yrs. now. We live out in the sticks and there isn't a Vet. anywhere, that will make house calls out here - you have to take them in and we no longer have a trailer. I lost my job in Aug. and our income was cut in half. What I desperately need to know is exactly what causes colic (I was told as a kid that they got it from eating dirt) and is there any treatment or anything I can do, other than to keep the horse on it's feet and don't let it roll? I would appreciate any advise!

Where are you from? Louisiana

How did you locate this forum? I have a sick horse and was looking on internet for information on colic.

Re: colic

Hello Cathy,

I just got your email – I’m so sorry – I hope your horse is ok.

Yes, sand can cause colic. But any impaction say, from overeating, eating too much grain at one time, stress, infections, treatment with antibiotics, very cold water after heavy exercise – these are a few causes. Sometimes stones can be formed in the digestive tract due to dietary imbalances. Sometimes a horse can eat something it shouldn’t such as a piece of garbage, plastic, or even a piece of wood – that gets lodged in the digestive tract.

Usually a vet will oil your horse to allow it to pass the impaction. You can try offering mineral oil but he likely will not eat it if he is in pain.

Please write again and let me know how things are doing. And, if you’ll provide me with your phone number, I will be happy to call you.

Dr. Getty

Dr. Getty,
Thank you so much for your quick response! I did all I could do for him, but he died around 11:30am today. He had stopped trying to lay down and roll, about 3:00 am this morning. He seemed to be getting better. I had to go pick up one of my sons, sick, from school and I got back around 12:00 pm and he had laid down right where I left him standing and he was gone. I hate that I left him, but I had to pick up my sick child. And my Father was on his way out here to get some mineral oil down him, when he died. We are just sick about it. He was our baby! We have had him all his life. He was born here 11 yrs. ago, this past Sept. and we touched him before his Momma did. When he was born, he came out and rolled down under the fence and he stood up for the first time on the other side of the fence from his Momma. He was already dry when we found him. We had to force her to nurse him for the first few days. He would always follow us around like a little puppy dog! We will surely miss him. And it is even harder, because 3 months ago, I lost my mare in a freak accident, where she fell, down in a narrow, creek bed. She was lodged down on her back with her feet sticking up in the air. She had a heart attack and died when we were trying to get her out. She was 18 yrs. old. She died with her head in my hands.
But thank you so very much for your response. I found your site by accident last night while looking for more information on colic. It is nice to know that there is help out there when I need it.
Thanks again, Cathy Becker

Where are you from? Louisiana

How did you locate this forum? I have a sick horse and was looking on internet for information on colic.

Hello Cathy,

Oh, I am so pained to hear about this tragic situation and hurt for you and your precious baby.

Words are so clumsy and I truly do not know how to tell you how saddened I am to hear about the suffering your both endured. My heart goes out to you.

I tried to find your phone number last evening, but I was not able to -- mine is available on my site, if you should ever have an emergency in the future -- though I hope that should never happen -- you've been through far too much.

With Sincere Sympathy,

Dr. Getty